Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

multiple subreports

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehlerak

IS-IT--Management
Dec 10, 2003
US
I need to put together a report that has one main detail section, then 7 subreports X 3 data sources that all refer to the main detail section.
1. Putting subreports in the same detail section has text from the the second subreport overwriting the text of the first, etc., since I couldn't see how to have the second subreport move down relative to the end of the first subreport. Is there a way to do this?
2. Otherwise, I put each subreport in different detail sections. But then there are two problems: Is there a limitation to how many detail sections I can have? Empty subreports leave empty space on the report.

Thanks

It's best if you post your Crystal version and the database/connectivity being used, and 7 subreports generally means bad performance and not enough time spent on design, but not always.

Anyway, to answer your questions:

1. Putting subreports in the same detail section has text from the the second subreport overwriting the text of the first, etc., since I couldn't see how to have the second subreport move down relative to the end of the first subreport. Is there a way to do this?

No, hence you want multiple detail sections.

2. Otherwise, I put each subreport in different detail sections. But then there are two problems: Is there a limitation to how many detail sections I can have? Empty subreports leave empty space on the report.

Empty subreports can be suppressed, and easily depending upon the software being used, which is why you need to explain your environment before explaining anything else.

If you right click the subreport and select format subreport, you may see the option of suppress blank subreport (strated around version 9 or 10 I think), then do the same for the section it's in, and it will disappear when empty. If that isn't an option, you still may be able to do away with the subreport when it doesn't return rows, but I'll not guess away simply because you didn't take the time to post basic information that you would have asked someone were you to be presented with a software question.

-k

Using CR 11 Pro connecting to Firebird/Interbase via ODBC. Unfortunately, the design was not mine - this is replication of an existing report. If there is a better way, I'd be happy to get some advice. The report is basically reporting on details of a customer quote. Then each subreport shows various histories for the corresponding PN (vendor quotes, purchases, sales, inventory, etc.). Then I need each of these histories for the same PN from 3 different data sources.

Thanks

So did the above resolve your empty space concerns?

As for eliminating subreports, I would consider building out a datasource which supplies everything in a single recordset, and then appropriately designing the report, however it does seem that you have disparate data so the report coding would be much more complex without subreports.

-k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back