Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

multiple streams with nas

Status
Not open for further replies.

kodiakid

IS-IT--Management
Aug 30, 2005
US
i got a backup server hooked up to an L20 with 2 HP-lto3 drives. when i go to backup from the NAS which is a 3020 netapp, the backups run extremely slow. there are hundreds of thousands of small files on the NAS, so i want to setup multiple streams. according to CA documentation you can only setup multiple streams if there is an agent installed. problem is you can't install the agent on the 3020. any ideas on how to speed this thing up?

Multi-plexing/streaming is not supported with NDMP NAS filers.

You are mostly at the mercy of the network stack on the filer here in this case, and not really a whole lot you can do about it from an ARCserve perspective.

Another option would be to connect your library to the filer and use the NDMP NAS option, but you can't then use it for regular backups of other servers. On the other hand if it's the disk i/o bandwidth/overhead on the NAS filer that's the issue, you might not see a whole lot of difference.

thanks for the help! we were actually backing up off of a f825 and things were running slow on the lto-3's. we then tried the 3020 hoping that it would help but it didn't.

so the bottleneck you're saying is at the filer? you think a dual gig-e connection would help?

Small files are always a problem for most filesystems, you may also want to review this article in case you are unable to stream the drives, which could be another cause for the performance issue, unfortunately it's another thing that is unfortunately beyond ARCserve's control :

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back