Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple SMS Profiles in WinNT directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trunk

MIS
Dec 11, 1998
US
SMS 2.0 Site (SP2)

I just noticed that on a couple of our domain controllers (used as CAP's and distribution points) that SMS is creating many profiles in the WinNT\Profiles directory. We're getting numerous profiles like the following:

SMSSvc_NSD_0002.000
SMSSvc_NSD_0002.001
SMSSvc_NSD_0002.002

And so on. In fact, on one server we have around 50 such profiles. Seems like several have been created each month for almost two years. This only occurs on a couple of our servers. The rest of our servers appear normal. I'm researching Technet, but in the meantime if anyone knows why this is occuring, your feedback would be appreciated.

Tom Thaden
thadents@usano.ksc.nasa.gov

This is becoming a more common issue. It is generally due to having exceeded the maximum registry size limit. When SMS installs, it needs a certain max reg size beyond the value that is configured for WinNT. Increasing the max reg size fixes the problem.
Rod Trent
Microsoft SMS Installer ISBN:0072124474
Admin911:SMS ISBN:0072130229

I too am having a problems with SMS profiles. I have automatic client installation turned on, no logon installation is enabled. When SMS tries to install the SMS client on some of my Windows 2000 professional machines, it seems to fail. I am reading the CCM.log on the server, and it almost seems to finish. But, the end result is no sms client install and numerous SCCMBootAcct&.comnputername.xxx directories under c:\documents and settings. On some machines with smaller hard drives the disk space fills up completely. I have seen up to 1000 directories enumerated. Any thoughts?

How do you maximize the registry entrys?

Please let me know of the steps. Thankyou in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back