Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple skills-What should I be payed? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

luddyspence

Technical User
Jan 30, 2008
CA
I am trying to determine how much I should be paid in my present Job. My title is Field Services Technician. But this does not describe what I actually do and so I believe that I am underpaid. This is what I actually do:
1. PBX administrator(Nortel PBX)-Add, Moves, changes, Installation, programming and troubleshooting.Responsible for about 20 Nortel PBX's.
2. VoIP Administrator-Add, Moves, changes, Installation, programming, Training and troubleshooting.
3. Networking-Intermediate level networking at CCNA level connecting DSL, T1 Circuits, switches and routers.
4. Connect and build PC's and install sofware.

I am doing all of the above in my present job and is the only person in the company capable of doing all of the above. As a result I am able to take a company with Nortel PBX and convert them to a VoIP system from A to Z (both programming and hardware installation and training clients). I am located in Toronto, Canada.

First rule of thumb is that there is always going to be someone with your same type job making more money than you are. Probably the best thing you can do would be to contact a local, reputable recruiter to get a sense of what the current market is paying for the position(s) in which you are qualified for.

You should have put this in the Nortel Meridian Systems Forum. you might get a better answer.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

LuddySpence said:
Multiple skills-What should I be payed?
Probably less than the bloke that knows how to spell "paid". <good-natured grin>

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]

Why don't you start applying for jobs within Toronto and see what, if any, increase you might get. Then in your next salary review, you will know if you are getting a competetive salary or not.

Recruiters are pimps and should be treated as such

You can also take a look at salary.com.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

My Blog

Salary.com is historicaly a bit on the high end for what it's studies show as the going rate for pay. I would subtract 10% from anything Salary.com says about the going rate if not more. Also, remember spence it is not really considered experience unless you have three years fo it. Them only exception to that is if you work for a third party service provider who moves from project to project installing, upgrading, servicing system after system for companies in different industries, then 2 years of that equals theree years of working in house for a single business.

I also install Avaya business phone systems from TDM to VOIP, so I install PBX/IPBX and can tell you in northern IL, and WI you can expect about $25-#35 per hour American. The $35 end would be for a lead tech who is responsible for leading a team, and being the go to guy for other techs for support.

You havn't told us how much your making, so it's hard to say if your getting a fair pay.

I went and looked at your Nortel Questions and based on those questions, I would have to say you need more training and I don't think your getting underpaid.

The last piece of advice I would give is that any technician whom is the type to be at, or moving towards the top end of the pay scale is always going to be underpaid. The reasoning behind this is that the continuous improvement involved in being the type of technician mentioned means that every review has new accomplishments, and achievements which have occurred sine the last review in regard to justifying advancement in regard to compensation. The title which you have is somewhat vague, but it is the job description, or duties list which is relevant, not what you actually do in regard to your compensation. The true test of the integrity of the review proccess is if they properly list the duties, and responsibilities of your position. This gives you credit for what you do on your resume, and makes compensation comparisons more accurate when reflected accurately.

If the projects you work do not always have a project manager whom is held totaly responsible for the management of the project then you need to discuss getting project management duties included in your job duties/description, and or title. This is the most common way an employer tips the scale of pay in their advantage is by not including duties in the list which you are doing. Some employers may say that they do not have, or use project managers in their business but someone is doing that part of the job if it is getting done. If you are doing it then ask your boss for credit in your job duties/decription, if you are not getting that credit then you should ask your boss to consider giving you the credit, or removing the responsibility for that work.
That does not mean to refuse to do that work, but simply to determine what you need to do to recieve the credit for, or freedom from responsibilities not in your job description which you routinely do as part of your job.

Other option,
If you are that much the only guy who can do what you do in the company consider opening up an office in the very same building, next door suite, and compete with them. If you are as good as you say you are you have a chance of hiring them, and paying them what you think they are worth down the road.

aarenot, your advise about project management is correct. Actually, as of a month ago my role has changed to project management. I am doing less PBX work. Thanks for the advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back