Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple sites (one IP) without Domain Names

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Technical User
Aug 16, 2002
CA
Hi there,

I have gone through all the postings regarding Host header Names and think I am on the right track of having one IP and wanting many sites by specifying the Ip, port 80 and specifying the Host Header name.

The difference here is that I am simply running a server to test websites as I develop them. So at this point I haven't got Domain Names registered for the various sites.

What I have tried:

- host header name made up ie: jack
in the browser typing or and
- host header name ipaddress/jack

I am running win2k adv server with IIS 5.

It works like a charm if I only have one site running...but as soon as I try and put host headers in - no luck.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Jack

The host header name must include the domain name.

If, in IIS, you have a host header of "jack" then will work *IF* your PC can resolve "jack" to the IP number of the server. If you have not got "jack" registered in DNS how is your PC resolving "jack" to the server?

If you 'ping' "jack" from your PC what IP number is shown or does your PC say "Bad IP address"?

One way to set an IP number for test purposes is to the use the HOSTS file on your PC to set an IP number for "jack". You can add other names to the HOSTS file and set those up in IIS host headers for other virtual servers.

Hope this helps.

rewebb - Thanks for your input. That makes sense on my end, though I was also thinking of it from an internet connection by the client.

But rather than having them have to do that, it would seem like it would simply be easier to change the port, and have them append that to the url?

I appreciate the help.

To be fair I did say that the HOSTS file thing was "for test purposes".

Yes you can use different ports, but I'm not convinced that's easier for users. When typing in URL how often do you think to check if there's a port number in the URL?

Much better to make sure that the names are set up in DNS properly and get the Host Headers working properly IMO.

RW

use and keep each staged sites content in a 'staged-site-name' folder under the main IIS root. When the content looks good, bite the bullet, get proper DNS resolution to your root IP for the new site and seperate the content using host header resolution.

>>MSClusterGuy

VDs are a great idea for non registered demo sites for testing purposes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back