Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple SIP Trunks to same provider

Status
Not open for further replies.

davea2

Technical User
Mar 14, 2005
GB
Hi

We have a customer arranging their own SIP trunks to a provider that uses IP authentication.
They have ordered 3 SIP trunks, presumably as the Server Edition will serve 3 distinct parts of the business.

However if all three need to point at the same provider IP address, down the same leased line connection, won't this cause some fun and entertainment?

No SBC on site that I know of just a standard (Cisco) firewall

Not sure how (or even if) the IPO will handle this?

How will the provider know which trunk you're calling on?

"Trying is the first step to failure..." - Homer

When we do this with Gamma in the UK they provide different SBC's per trunk for us to connect to, can your provider do this?

“Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.”

Terry Pratchet

I will have to check, like I said the customer is organising their own SIP trunks, which I am never a fan of!

It is UK based but not Gamma, possibly KCOM (Which is BT ultimately I believe)

Set different incoming and outgoing group IDs for each.

Read in a Support Note that you're not allowed to have several trunks pointing to the same IP.
You could probably just use several URIs which each SIP account on it's own URI.

Easiest would be to have the same incoming ID but different outgoing.

"Trying is the first step to failure..." - Homer

Janni78 I have two separate SIP connections to the same end point on my IPO server edition R9.1. I use one for inbound and one for outbound.

FFrey - 2 separate trunks using different I/C and O/G groups on each rather then 2 URIs on 1 trunk?

Yes, Even with multiple URIs there is still a 128 channel limit. I needed more than that so I created 2 trunks, one for incoming and one for outgoing.

This client will want 3 trunks for the 3 separate parts of the business for out going - I guess that would work then with 3 OG groups.
This will be for billing purposes I expect

BT use registered trunks, not IP authenticated.
I have used multiple trunks to a single provider/IP. It works fine, but the incoming line group needs to be the same, the system has no way to differentiate which trunk inbound calls are for :)

System picks the trunk with the lowest line number for inbound. But if the first trunk fills up and over flows to the second, having a different I/C group ID is pointless. I agree I/C group ID should be the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back