Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple selection in Word 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wuu

Technical User
Nov 18, 2007
US
Hi,

I often need to select several headings and apply styles.
But those headings are scattered throughout the documents, I wonder if there is a possible way to select multiple items in Word, so same heading levels or styles could be applied at the same time instead of repeating the same command for every selection.

P.S. Holding Ctrl key does not seem to work.

Thanks

Hi Wuu,
I'm surprised that the Ctrl key doesn't work. I'm sure you're keeping it depressed while you select... Hmmm...I would first reboot and attempt the Ctrl key again.

Less time consuming, but not as quick as using the Ctrl key, is to format the first selection, highlight your next selection and tap your F4 function key (which repeats your last action). Continue that for each selection.
HTH,

Best,
Blue Horizon [2thumbsup]

Hi, BlueHorizon

Tried what you suggested, it worked great. Thanks

I also noticed that holding Ctrl DOES work on other people's computers. So I guess it is a program associated with my computer.

ThANKS

Or, make your Style a keyboard shortcut. I use this a lot. For example, my first level heading (I do not use Word's default Heading 1) is Alt-1, second Alt-2, third Alt-3. My main body text style is Alt-B. My main body indent is Alt-BI, my basic table text is Alt-TT, etc. etc.

So even if you DO make multiple non-contiguous selections, just do that and press Alt-blah...or whatever you make as a shortcut, to affect the style.

faq219-2884

Gerry
My paintings and sculpture

fumei,

thanks for your tip. Haven't thought of changing keyborad shortcuts in the beginning. Tried it, works great and a lot faster than what I did in the past.

Oh yes. Using keyboard shortcuts with styles can make things WAY, WAY faster.

In fact, when I actually write, believe it or not, I do NO formatting whatsoever. I do not add that "extra" Enter between paragraphs. I just write text.

Then I skim and hit keyboard shortcuts. It took years of getting used to functioning like that, but IMO, that is exactly how Word is designed to be used. Most people format as they go. I never do.

Word, IMO, is designed to format by styles once you have written the content. In other words, while I am writing content (the text) I pay ZERO attention to format. I pay attention to one thing...what I am writing. What it looks like is completely, and utterly, irrelevant at the time of writing the content. This is very strange, and counter-intuitive at first.

Later on, say a bunch of pages I know are to be "Body Text". Fine. I hold the Shift key and press PageDown, going through. Once I see the end of the chunk of BodyText, I lift my fingers (the chunk is now selected) and press Alt-BT, thus making it BodyText.

Badda bing, badda boom. I just formatted 11 pages.

I run through the document, non-contiguously selecting the short paragraphs that will be my MyHeading1....then....Alt-1. Badda bing, badda boom. I just formatted 23 Headings.

I must admit I use a wee VBA to format my tables - standardized of course. The VBA runs through all the tables, bookmarking them so I can use real names for tables later on, making all text except the heading row MainTableText, the heading rows HeadingRowtext...yadda yadda.

But I call that with a simple Alt-TS (for Table Set). I press Alt-TS and.....badda bing, badda boom. All my tables are formatted the same way.

Styles and shortcuts...the way to go. OK......ONE way to go.

I use keys a lot as I just hate having to lift my hand over to the mouse unless I have to. I got carpal bad enough thank you. Mind you, switching to a graphics pen helped a lot.

faq219-2884

Gerry
My paintings and sculpture

The MS Word MASTER has spoken!

hai, ee [orientalbow]

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] When a diminutive clarvoyant had disappeared from detention, headlines read...
Small Medium at Large[tongue][/sub]

True humility! Happy New Year, my friend!

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] When a diminutive clarvoyant had disappeared from detention, headlines read...
Small Medium at Large[tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back