Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MULTIPLE SELECT STATEMENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

kp1279

Programmer
Jan 21, 2005
GB
I am fairly new to SQL, so please bear that in mind with any responce.

I have a database, that someone else had created, but I want to extract some data from it in a set way.

there is a name table with a urn
there is an address table with a urn
there is a document table with a urn
and there is a link table with a urn

I supose it is in a way to keep the database tidy, but if you link a name to an address it creates a link, if you link the same name with a document it creates another link, and if you link a name with another name, it again creates a link.

The only common eliment to the above in the URN for the name.

Here is what I want to do.

I want and can create a select statement which will give me all the URN's for the names, which are mentioned in the link table, which are linked to a certain document (by its URN), and can join the name details onto this.

However I want now to be able to add the address details for these, but that where I struggle.

EG.

Names table
N1. dave smith
N2. john jones

Address table
A1. 1 here
A2. 3 there
A3. 67 elsewhere

document table

D1. this
D2. that
D3. the other

joins
1 joins D1 to N1
2 joins D1 to N2
3 joins D2 to N1
4 joins N1 to A1
5 joins N2 to A1

etc

I want to do is run a select statment that gives me all the names linked to D1 from the link table join the name table and retreive the names details.

then what I want to do is also link the addresses details to the names, again the link is from the link table ???

I tried with:-

select link.urn
link.link_to
link.link_from
names.urn
names.surname
names.forename

from link, names

on link.link_to=names.urn

where link.link_from=D1

but how can I base the same sort of select statement for the address part on the results from this select???

because what I need to do is something like:-

select link.urn
link.link_to
link.link_from
address.urn
address.housenumber
address.postcode

from link, address

on link.link_to=address.urn

where link.link_from= (the name.urn from previous select)

Any help please!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back