Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

multiple select in a prompt

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssibo

Technical User
Apr 9, 2002
SN
I have a prompt on a table country. I want to select many elements at the same time for example france,england,belgium.
Anyone experiencing the same? Is it possible when exploring date?

Hello Ssibo,

Use the 'in list' statement in the prompt, but be beware that there is a limit to the number of entries (I think 256) you can substitute using the list of values method.

This is extremely basic stuff, you can excellently check out in the thick online guides in PDF-format !!!

blom0344

Hello Marek72,

If I had gotten a nickle for each time a user demanded such a nice set-up I would have been a rich man by now. Never figured out how to meet their demands.

Basically the query panel gives all the tools to create a static SQL statement that runs against the database. This is very restrictive for our problem, because omitting input into the where clause by not entering data into a prompt gives you a statement that will never return any data.

What you would want is something more dynamic, so if you would not use the prompt the entire prompt-part is deleted from the SQL and a modified SQL is generated that meets the demand.

Basically this is as far as I have gotten and if some expert has a solution I would very , very much appreciate it. Must be something complex , though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back