Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple restores for data mining

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncvandy

MIS
Jul 10, 2001
US
Doing a little leg work just in case. My company is being sued and there is a good chance that all old email records will have to be scrubbed looking for relevant documents. I have tapes from daily backups, monthly backups, and an end of the year backup. We are running a single Exchange 2003 box in a single domain ad environment. The systems were backed up using a tape library and Veritas software. I anticipate that I will have to perform numerous restores from the tapes and search for relevant documents while still maintaining the production system for day to day operations.
My first instinct is to create a lab in which there is one domain controller duplicating the ad structure and then set up an exchange server within the lab to perform the mailbox restores on. Then the problem becomes searching through all the mailboxes for the appropriate data. Does anyone know of any tools that would search through multiple mailboxes (200 mailboxes with 40M limits) for particular phrases, address etc. to avoid having to open each mailbox and looking in each one.
Is this approach a good one. Is there a better way.
Any advice for good approaches, procedures to follow, tools that would make this project easier to accomplish would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

Elegant solutions are nice, but right now I'll settle for whatever works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back