Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Registered IP's / Websites on One computer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renidrag

Programmer
Jul 16, 2002
CA
First Question:
I was wonder how do I host multiple websites on one computer. I understand how one website with a registered IP works and how the IP is the location of that computer but if I have say ( registered for the IP of the computer, how do I have ( registered for the same computer. If I can have more than one, how many can I host on one machine with the same IP.

Second Question:
What is involved with moving a website from one hosting service to another. I assume the IP changes or maybe I shouldn't assume...

Any advise or comments or a point to where I can find answers would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

First,
Thread253-574743
thread41-595738

Second,
The nameservers listed with the registrar (internic, nominet) change to the new hosting company, and the new hosting company add the domain name to their DNS servers.

This is for Nominet(.co.uk) I assume same or similar for Internic(.com)
The existing host have to retag the domain registration at Nominet with the TAG for the new host then the new host is emailed with a request to update DNS nameservers. job done.
worldwide replication takes about 12 hrs (or less)

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?

First Question

If you use multiple IP addresses, you will need an additional network card for each IP address.
If you are using this method of hosting multiple sites on the Internet, you will also need to register the text names with InterNIC.

Hi Renidrag,

First Question -
In response to sweta's post, you do NOT need additional network cards for each IP address. You can add a fair few IP addresses to 1 network card. Not sure on the maximum but it is a lot. You only really need 1 IP address using IIS to host up to 250(?) sites using host headers.
Second Question -
Yes, the IP address will change. You don't own an IP address your host does. When you move hosts the IP address you are using stays with the original host and you will be given a new one with your new host (depending on the host and package you take).

Hope this helps.

JB

Scenario A: You are hosting the server yourself:

True, you can have multiple IP addresses on each network card

BUT

you don't need to. You can use HOST HEADERS to identify each website. (I don't have IIS in front of me, so I'll do it from memory:)

The first thing you need to do is make your server respond for the new site:

- In IIS, go to Add New Virtual Site
- Under IP address: All Unassigned
- Under host headers, enter the address. When a request comes in on your IP address, IIS will use the name requested to return the correct site.
- In path, browse to the directory containing that site.
- Search for a file called lmhosts on your server and add an entry for the new site:
localhost

Try calling up on the browser on the server. The site should come up. Also should bring it up. Now the server is ready.

NEXT, get the domain name pointing to your server, so others can access it.

- You need to have nameservers set up pointing to your site. Hopefully your domain registry will do this for you.

Using this method you can have a few hundred static sites if you really push it.

Dave Mc Donald

fyi IIS4 doesn't include the HOST HEADERS option but IIS5 does.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back