Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

multiple proxy severs

Status
Not open for further replies.

gfunk123

IS-IT--Management
May 22, 2001
GB
We have two proxy servers in our organisation - one to access our french branch intranet and one for our UK branch users to access the internet. Some of the users (just to be difficult) require access to both of these and are moaning that they have to manually change the IP address of the proxy each time. As far as I was initially aware, IE5.5 will only allow you to have one proxy at a time (well, they only provide one text box, don't they?)

I have been supplied with a script which supposedly will run an IF statement everytime the user enters a url . I have been told to add this file as the configuration script in internet options.But it doesnt work. Here is the script.....

/*==========================================================*/

/* this a remark */

/* <proxy.pac> */

/* 02/05/2001 */

/* == Configuration for automatic proxys */

/* auto configuration is anable from Netscape v2 and IE 3.02 */

function FindProxyForURL(url,host)

{

if (dnsDomainIs(host, &quot;.example.fr&quot;) || /* International and french intranet */

dnsDomainIs(host, &quot;.example.co.uk&quot;) || /* English intranet */

dnsDomainIs(host, &quot;.example2.fr&quot;)) /* French intranet... and so on */

{

return &quot;PROXY 172.18.236.5:3128&quot;; /* international proxy */

}

/* Others (internet, local intranet, etc.) */

return &quot;PROXY 172.19.8.35:3128&quot;; /* no proxy */

}

/* </proxy.pac> */

/*==========================================================*/

Does anybody know any way to do this this without mucking about with scripts and stuff and if not, does anybody know why this script doesnt work or have one that does.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Gary

To be able to change proxies dependant on host address it should look something like this.

function FindProxyForURL(url, host)
{
if (isPlainHostName(host))
return &quot;DIRECT&quot;;This is internal
else if (shExpMatch(host, &quot;*.fr&quot;))
return &quot;PROXY frenchproxy:80&quot;;This is French
else if (shExpMatch(host, &quot;*.co.uk&quot;))
return &quot;PROXY britishproxy:80&quot;;This is British
else
return &quot;PROXY regularproxy&quot;;This is standard proxy
}

Change the ports from 80 to whatever you are using if it's not the standard http port. I didn't quite understand what you wanted, but hopefully this should help you get there :)

I have a similar question when using two proxy servers. We have 2 proxy servers at different locations. Some people use one proxy, some use the other. How can I have both servers act as a backup for eachother. Can this be done at the browser level, or does it need to be done at the proxy? Any advice would be appreciated. Thx, -pb-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back