Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Processes Running?

Status
Not open for further replies.

puzzeled

Technical User
Mar 5, 2003
US

Hello All

I have noticed thru Process viewer there are several multiple processes running.

4 -> svchost.exe
3 -> 2 like ->RUNDLL32.exe, 1 like RUNDLL32.EXE
3 -> 2 like ->fast.exe, 1 like Fast.exe
2 -> iexplorer.exe

Why the mixed case?. there is only 1 version in c:\windows]system... Why is this..is this normal. I see and option to deny multiple processes. Why would i use this?

Any help is appreciated

Thank you

Puzzeled

I believe this to be normal. It's certainly the case with mine. I was a little concerned at first, too. The way i understand it (I'm sure i'll be corrected if i'm wrong) is that, certainly in the case of svchost, services run using this alias. Apparently it helps for debugging!!

see the following link for more information:

(you'll have to cut'n'paste it to get the bit after the semi-colon)

as far as fast.exe is concerned, I think this may be the findfast thingumy in office. it bugs the heck outta me (irrational i know) but i remove it from all users startup reg key.

Thanks guys

I was afraid I was hosting some gremlins..I'll be checking out thoes sites this evening. At least I'll have some idea why some of this stuff happens.

Puzzeled

To see a description of the services in less tech terms and which ones you may want to turned off see:

caffrinho,

FYI for the future re: posting links see this :)
How to copy a link from MS Support to a reply
faq779-1385 ----
"eXPerience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." - annon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back