Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple problems - hopefully one cause (that can be fixed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 11, 2002
GB
I have a Windows XP box with lots of problems - all seem to be relating to HTML content.

Internet Exploder won't view web pages (blank page dispite being able to connect to the site)

User Accounts in Control Panel won't load

System Retore loads with a blank window

Multiple other issues with IE, such as help window not showing or about window. Plus General tab missing.

Suspect AOL screwed it when I installed and uninstalled it.

I have reapplied SP2, but this hasn't fixed the problem - can anyone offer any ideas? It's Windows XP home by the way, but i've seen this problem before on XP Professional, so i don't think it's exclusive to that OS.

Hi

Have you try scanning for spywares/viruses?
Look like you may have some of spywares/viruses in your box.

Patching with SP2 only cover up certain security loopholes. It is recommended that a anti-virus software should also be installed.

System patched with SP2 but without anti-virus software installed is as good as leaving your front door wide open.

You might try to use the automatic repair feature on the windows xp disk. at very least if your disk is sp1 you can revert back to it without data loss, then reapply sp2. Hope this helps

I tried IEFIX - nice util, but didn't solve the problem.

I did however find the problem. It was a missing file. MSHTML.DLL from the system32 folder.

Problem solved and thanks to everyone for their assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back