Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Phones on One Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

missionarytech

Technical User
Feb 11, 2008
US
Hello,

I am trying to find out if it is possible to install 2 phones on one extension. We have a Nortel MICS 4.0. We have one building that has wiring for one phone (2wire). Is it possible to add another phone in this building while using the existing wiring. I am trying to get both phones to ring together.

Is it possible to have 2 phones on the same extension with just two wires having been run?

Thanks,
Thomas

No not without something exotic/expensive like a MCK extender over an existing network.

If your customer can survive with analog phones then you could use an ATA and just put two plain telephones at the remote location.

----------------------------
JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

You can run analog telephones on a loop. But, each digital telephone needs it's own pair of wires to the KSU.

Adversity is Opportunity

Thanks for the help. Maybe I'll just add another extension and try to put the two phones in the same group.

I understand it that you want to have two telephones with the same extension. You have an existing phone extension using two wire. I would double check that it is two wire, because 2, 3 & 4 pair are more likely. Why would you want the same extension at the smae physical location. You could have separate extension that both ring at the same time if you would like.

You could use an answer DN to ring both phones at the same time but definitely digital phones cannot be double tapped.

Thank you for all of the advice. The building does have 4 wire run to it. I guess I just need to connect the second pair to the old analog house wiring if I want to add another extension. The building is being used as a residence for an elderly person. We are trying to help this person avoid walking down stairs to answer the phone as much as possible.

I'd probably hook up an ata, and daisy chain that extension wherever they want a jack. If they don't care about using all the system features, an ata and a cordless phone would probably be their best bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back