Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple phone numbers in one field 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcarneir

Programmer
May 17, 2001
VE
I have a form with 3 textboxes for input phone numbers. Are ther controls for multiple inputs like a list???

If you will not ever need more than 3 phone numbers and they will always be for the same usage like Home, Work, and Cell then you could probably create three different fields to store the numbers. If you want more flexibility then each phone number should be stored in a related table that uses one field to link back to your existing table, one field for type of phone number, and one field for the actual phone number.

Duane
MS Access MVP

I want to store the phone numbers into a single field:
phone1;phone2;phone3;....;

Today can be 0 to 3 numbers but next month may change. I can use three textboxes but I wonder if exist a ocx for multiple input.

The most basic rule of database design:

First normal form (1NF) - All attributes must be atomic. That is, there can exist no repeating groups in an attribute. For example, in a relation that describes a student, the student's classes should not be stored in one field, separated by commas. Rather, the classes should be moved to their own relation, which should include a link back to the student relation (called a foreign key).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back