Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Partner ACS R4 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MGrobe

IS-IT--Management
Jan 26, 2004
US
I have a non-profit that I am on their Board of Directors, that I am trying to do some work for that has an Avaya Partner 308 ACS R4 with the PC Card style of VM. I am not sure what revision the VM is but both components were bought new about 4-5 years ago.

At the time we got some volunteers to come in and program the system, but unfortunately those individuals aren't available anymore. I have done some minor phone work in the past, but a lot of this is still foreign to me.

But I digress...

When phone calls ring in the AA answers (I believe I am using the AA correctly in this circumstance). Then from there calls get transferred to one of the 8 extensions that exist.

1. When at the AA prompt, if someone does a 0 to get operator, it of course goes to extension 10. Things have changed and a secretary does now exist in the organization and she resides at ext. 11. So I need to know if I can get all 0 calls to ring to ext. 11 and to transfer to ext. 11 VM.

2. We recently added a third line. I thought I had it programmed right, but it seems to me it isn't working quite right. What do I need to do to make sure that its settings match the other two lines. Sorry for being vague, but I need to make a site visit to see how it is or isn't working.

3. With my PC Card VM I have 8 mailboxes. Can I create more mailboxes with it or is it maxed out? I realize if I reconfigure the card that all mailbox messages etc. will be gone. We have a new remote employee that would like to call in and check for messages a few times a week and we already are using all eight mailboxes that were configured when the system was installed.

Thanks for any and all help.

1) No with the pcmcia voice mail the 0 option is always 10 you
cannot change it. Why not swap x's 10 & 11 at the
processor?
2) If you want the line to be picked up by the auto attendant
it must be assigned to group 7 in group call distribution
#206 and then you can adjust the number of rings before it
goes to vm #506 for hunt delay and #507 for hunt scheduele.
3) Log in as administrator (0#,2537#) and press 1 for the
system configuration. There you can change it if your vm
is capable. The large pcmcia vm goes up to 16 mailboxes.
Hope this helps!

Hi MGrobe,
What daweeezl has said is pretty much it. Your message time for each mailbox will reduce as the number of mailboxes are increased (by increments of two). Keep in mind that you may exceed the capacity of this two port vm at sometime. The result is that calls may ring for some time before being answered.
-Chris

Thanks for the replies.

Part of the reason I would rather not swap the extensions is that the person that has 10 now is the Executive Director. Undoubtedly they have a bunch of paper goods with the extension printed on it. But I will double-check their preference.

I'll be visiting them this Thursday so I'll take a look into my question #2 and post back any other problems I find with line 3.

How do I tell if which VM I have on the PC Card? Is there a way to do it through the menu programming? I can't physically get where the phone switch is so pulling out the card isn't an option. I thought we might outgrow the VM at sometime, but I was hoping a couple more years would go by.

Thanks.

You may find that if you publish the location and nature of your non-profit that you might receive a donation of a removed from service, refurb or even new vmail from a caring member. Don't consider it an act of begging or some such, many of us have stocks of used equipment we'd be happy to give away to a good home. And, as an Asst. Scoutmaster who has dealt with several boys' Eagle projects, I've learned there are many corporations (large and small) whose budgets mandate they give X dollars of charitable contributions each year or quarter, and many have a difficult time locating suitable organizations to which to give. I personally maintain the systems of 6 local non-profits at no charge, and I'd do a couple more if they were known to me.

Just food for thought.....

I appreciate the thought 392. is their web page. It is a non-profit that teaches computers & adaptive technology to the disabled in the Western Suburbs of Chicago. Also we have more recently embarked on placing students into jobs, which explains the growth on the phone system.

Hi MGrobe,
You have the PVM large. If you can dial an extension while the main greeting is playing it's a later version. I really don't know that more information will be very helpful to you.

To find out what the assignments are, go into the menu to assign mailboxes and list them 1 through 8. If it's stock, then MB1 = x10, 2=11 and so on. If you increase the number of mailboxes, the assignments should default to the above (except up to the new # of mailboxes).

Also, 392 has an excellent suggestion. The PVM units are very limited in what they can do.

-Chris

Okay, I am out at the non-profits site and here's an update.

1. I informed them that with their current VMS that only line 10 can receive the Operator calls. Still haven't heard yet how they want me to handle it, but I consider this question closed.

2. Sure enough I didn't have line 3 in hunt group 7 under #206. I'd swear that I had gone through each and every system option looking for things like this. After a little testing I consider this question to be closed as well with one minor cavaet, which I will list as question 4.

3. For the time being I am going to stand pat on the VM reconfig. The Executive Director is adopting a child from Kazikstan and will be out of office for about 12 weeks. When she returns I will more than likely attempt the reconfig.

4. One minor annoyance that I have ran into from before, but I had forgotten about until now has to do with Line 3. On Extension 10 I can't get Line 3 to appear on the same button as all of the other phones. Only 10 is affected. We are using 18D phones and I have line 3 appearing alongside the built-in Line 1 & 2 buttons. All extensions work with the exception of 10. For 10 when I assign Line 3 to it, the button it grabs on the handset is the fourth button over on the same row, which happens to be the button that is supposed to be DND. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated

5. As luck would have it, I was informed of a phone that wasn't working. Well after playing with it for a while, I can sincerely say that the handset is dead. Now I have to purchase another handset (18D). I would like to reward one of the vendors on this forum the purchase for their help both past and present. I didn't notice if tek-tips has PM's but if they do any interested vendor submit me a quote on a grey 18D handset, I would appreciate it.

One last thing, I couldn't find in my Avaya docs how to copy one extensions setting to another. This might help me correct problem #4.

Thanks.

-Marc-

Disregard number 4 as I found out I inadvertently assigned a ASA button where it didn't need to be.

I would be willing to stop by and meet with you reference your setup, as I drive by your facility on occasion. I will try to call you at the number posted on your website, to see how I can assist you.

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back