Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple OUs for software deployment

Status
Not open for further replies.

helsknight

IS-IT--Management
Nov 10, 2004
US
I'm trying to find a best way to deploy software with AD OUs. We have 3 office loc1, loc2, loc3.

In AD, since i'm assigning by computer so do i use OU layers? For example in loc1, we have 3 dept admin, eng, and sale. Everyone in loc1 needs office 2003. only Admin need software A, Eng need software E, and Sales need software S.

In AD, do I create an OU name loc1, loc2, loc3. Assign a policy to deploy Office 2003 in loc1. Inside of loc1 create 3 additional OU name Admin, Eng, Sales. Assign the admin computers to the Admin OU. Then config the policy in Admin to deploy software A. Assign the eng computers to the Eng OU, then config the policy for Eng to deploy software E. Assign the sales computers to Sales OU, then config a policy to for Sales to deploy software S.

Since loc2 and loc3 are at different location but on same domain, i'm create different OU so that the UNC path to the data source are on their local servers.

Am I understanding OUs and AD correctly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back