Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple OS's on PC 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wasp101

MIS
Aug 16, 1999
NZ
<br>
How is it possible to install Win2000 (ser or wks) to a computer and leave existing NT4 and/or Win98 in tact. Win2000 seems to detect their presence and about the install.<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>

Are we talking about partitioning a hard drive?<br>
If this is the case, then you can use f-disk or<br>
partition magic to divide lets say an 8-gig hd into<br>
three separate partitions(3, 3, and 2-gig respectively).<br>
format all three drives and install each separate os's<br>
in its respective partitions. make sure you install win95/win98 first or nt4.0 and lastly win2000(due to the bootloader). currently i'm running 3-os's win98, win2000 pro and win2000 server.

You don't have to seperate partitons to install different Operating Systems, but it is a good idea.

You'll also not want to convert to NTFS if you want windows 9x to work. make sure all of your os's have an entry in boot.ini

i recomend partitioning ur hard drive since win2k wont read win 98's registry and you will have duplicate porgram folders in both os's making it dificult for you to un install an app from one and lastly during win2k setup be sure to select clean install and under advanced before it starts loading the informatio file select the check box stating you will like to select the partition this will list all partitions on ur hard drive and alow you to install win2k without interference to win98,nt4,etc. it also alows you to be more secure using the ntfs file system email me and tell how well it has worked for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back