Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MULTIPLE OPERATING SYSTEMS (ORDER OF INSTALLATION??)

Status
Not open for further replies.

perlnewbie

Technical User
Oct 6, 2001
US
i'm repartitioning my drive (first removing linux redhat) then i'm going to put on win NT server and windows 2000, then linux again......but
is that the correct order if i'm going to use lilo
install linux last after the two windows installs?
or should i install windows 2000 last??
i dont' know what order to istall them!
thanks,

confused installer.....

Eh? Why don't you just get win2k server and skip the winNT server?

Win2k is WinNT 5.

i wanted both to learn the os's for admin purposes....

I can only speak from a Linux/W98 point of view, however I have always installed Linux after W98 and I haven't experienced any problems ( except for the time I screwed up the partitioning, but that was my own stupid fault ). SOL
I'm only guessing but my guess work generally works for me.

I would install Linux last so that you use lilo instead of windoz boot manager.

-Tony

Hi,

I'd install NT, then Windoze 2K, then linux. You need to configure lilo to chain load the W2K boot loader but thats not too difficult. One word of warning - the version of ntfs that ships with W2K is more 'advanced' that the NT4 one. When it installs it 'updates' all existing ntfs partitions and you could find that your NT4 won't then be able to read its own ntfs partition ! The way round it is to install SP6 on NT4 before installing W2K. Then do linux.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back