Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Networks. Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChuckG

MIS
Feb 28, 2001
US
Currently, we have two networks.

10.21.30.X and
10.21.32.X

The 30.X network is servers and most workstations, everything on this network has internet access.

the 32.X network is being used for all wireless devices (wireless barcode terminals, wireless printers, etc) that don't need internet access.

At the moment, the two networks are talking to each other via a Cisco router that connects the two. (both networks are in house here, and using the same network hardware).

Problem is, we've had a few issues of the 30.X DHCP running out of addresses.

I was looking at maybe using 255.255.252.0 as the new subnet mask which would give us 10.21.28.1 thru 10.21.31.254 as available IP ranges.

Is there way to setup DHCP so I can have 10.21.30.X assigned, but setup the other ranges as available with a Scope ID or something?

Only way I can see doing it at the moment would be to put the entire 10.21.28.1-10.21.31.254 into DHCP and reserving out all the others which would be a pain.

Just thought I'd see if anyone had any suggestions.

Thanks
ChuckG

Also, another reason we're looking at combining, is we have been having some issues with the terminals on the 10.21.32.X network having trouble re-connecting to a host on 10.21.30.X network, and it seemed to clear up if we put the terminal onto a 10.21.30.X address.

I'm not a Cisco tech so I can't tell you how to do this, but you will new to configure some helper entries in that Cisco box so that it can route traffic between the different addresses.

Also, I think there is a Cisco forum here somewhere, might try posting the question there.

Regards,
David.

Helper addresses are used to forward broadcasts, such as DHCP requests. If both networks are connected to the router, there is no need for a helper address config.
I am still unclear what you want---seems you have made it clear that you need more than 254 useable IP addresses for each subnet---why not just use class B private IP's?
172.16.x.x, 172.17.x.x, 172.18.x.x, etc thru to 172.31.x.x
For the router to specify addresses in the dhcp scope, you exclude the addresses you do not want set up (like exclude all the static Ip's you have, like on the printers and servers).
router>en
router#conf t
router(config)#ip dhcp pool whatever
router(dhcp-config)#network 172.16.0.0
router(config-dhcp)#default-router 172.16.0.1
router(config-dhcp)#dns-server x.x.x.x
and whatever else you want, like domain name, etc. Just hit the "?", and it will give you the options. You can make two different pools and associate them with two different networks (with the "default-router" command).

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back