Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple network cards and a Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

bishank

Technical User
Feb 1, 2005
US
I have a mac with multiple network cards. one is for internet access and the other access a private company network to connect to AS/400 machine.

My problem is that i need to access a website that only can be accessed from the private network.

Is there a way to control what network connection is used. So if safari gets a request for that site it uses the nic hat is connected to the private network.

Theoretically, if both cards are active at the same time and you use the ip# for the site on the private network, it should open - theoretically.

You could also download Firefox and use that - via the ip# - to access the internal site and only that site it he ip# thingy works.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

As jmgalvin says - assuming that the two NICs access different networks, there should be no problem - packets should flow correctly over which ever NIC can connect to the desired site.

If you're having problems, it's probably because one of the NICs (probably the one that access the "public internet") doesn't have it's mask set correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back