Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple monitors 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redneck

Technical User
Jan 14, 2001
US
Will Win 98SE support multiple monitors?

My video card: Best I can tell it is Magnum Xpert128.

What else do I need besides the moniotor and another card?

Thanks.

Redneck

Win98SE does support dual monitors. You can just add a second PCI video card into one of your slots and hook a monitor up to that; works some of the time though, a lot of people have come up with combinations of video cards that simply will not work together. Just make sure that in your BIOS setup, there's an option of whether the agp video card or the pci video card is your main monitor - by default it's set to pci, so you'll want to change that.

Easier (and safter) way if you are going to do dual monitor, you can get one video card that supports dual monitors (it has two monitor connections on the back). If you're not too concerned with lighning fast 3D graphics, I would suggest a Matrox G450 card, they are very easy to set up and the driver support is excellent. ATI's Radeon VE also has dual monitor support as well as some Geforce2 MX cards.

If you get lucky and everything goes smoothly, you'll be like "Wow, this was easy!"

Thanks for the reply. Relooked at my invoice and it shows an ATI xpert 2000 card. I'd rather have a single card for dual monitors. Not into 3d graphics that much. Will pursue your advice. My concern came when I went to a major chain computer store recently and their most senior computer guru told me that Win 98 did not support dual monitors. Had to check it out here where I have receive good advice in the past.

Thanks.

Redneck...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back