Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple monitors connected to a laptop or desktop PC 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

knbink

IS-IT--Management
Dec 2, 2010
Hi all

I need a solution to idea.
My boss wants to put 6 monitors for Exibition Show and he asked me to find a way of how to do it.

I know there is a solution with buying 3 Video Cards, and connecting the monitors to it.
Regarding this solution, is there some good application that can make the control of the monitors easy?

The other way what i looked at is to connect the monitors through USB. I saw some videos on YouTube and i see that it can be done, but i dont know how.
Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Yes, it would help to know more about what you are trying to accomplish. Is each monitor showing the same output? Are you doing anything graphically intensive on each screen?

~cdogg
"All generalizations are false, including this one." - Mark Twain
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

I saw a doctor's office last week that had a video splitter like that that sent video to 6 screens in 6 different rooms and it seems to do the trick. The source is from one computer.

Most major players in the graphics department, have video cards that support multiple monitors...

I know definitely that AMD has EyeFinity, where you can hook up to 6 displays to it...

AMD Eyefinity Technology

and Matrox offers solutions, take a look at the PPX or VPX series:

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Thanks all for the help.

I managed to find few solutions for this:
1. getting few video cards and connect the monitors through them.
2. getting VGA to USB adapters, and connect 6 monitors together.

Most probably i will go with the video cards setup.
Now after discussion with my boss, and providing him this solution, i have another problem, which is he wants for example 3 monitors to be in portrait, and 3 to be in Landscape, and he wants to display 1 large picture separated on each of the monitors, like a mosaic.

Now can this be done like this and how?

What your boss wants is called a "Video Wall" - do a bit of google searching - lot of hits for it - requires a minimum of special controllers, and is usually done with special monitors with very thin bezels. It's quite pricey - not at all the same as showing the same picture on multiple monitors, which is best done with a VGA splitter - really more of a VGA hub.

Fred Wagner

Thinking about it further, how about using a really big HD digital flat panel TV - 54" or 64",and run the signal to that. Or use a Projector on the PC, and put the picture up on a big projection screen. these methods won't give as high a resolution as the video wall setup, but they'll be a whole lot less pricey. Any of these solutions should be rentable from organizations that support trade shows.

Fred Wagner

I know it is called Video wall, and i have been looking into it, but i want to find pricing, so i can provide it to him.

There is also another way to make it, to crop the specific picture or presentation that he wants to be on the "video wall" and run it on each of the screens.

I think that is less expensive, but it will take lot of work to be done.

==> There is also another way to make it, to crop the specific picture or presentation that he wants to be on the "video wall" and run it on each of the screens.

That doesn't sound like a practical solution. For you to crop individual slides or videos, it would be very time consuming. When you "extend" a Windows desktop onto multiple monitors, you can easily stretch the open window across this extended desktop to fill the screens. I'm not sure that 6 monitors is going to give you a good viewing ratio (4:3 or 16:9) or that it will look all that great with 1"-2" gaps between screens, but that's definitely an option that doesn't involve cropping.

For a professional look, you'll want the special monitor option Fred mentioned that have very thin bezels. These screens aren't cheap either. I like the alternative ideas about looking into a rental option (if not needed long-term) or using one or more projectors (which will eliminate gaps).

~cdogg
"All generalizations are false, including this one." - Mark Twain
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back