Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Monitor with Multiple PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSA2000

MIS
Sep 17, 2001
US
Hello All, I have a user whom wants to use two computers with two PCs, one keyboard and one mouse simultaneously? I know this can be accomplished via KVM switch, but he wants to use both monitors simultaneously. I am also aware of software called Synergy that will do this, however, the PCs are on different networks. Anyone have any ideas on how this can be accomplished?

Does he want

setting 1 - screen1, screen2, keyboard, mouse to PC1
setting 2 - screen1, screen2, keyboard, mouse to PC2

or

setting 1 - screen1, keyboard, mouse to PC1, screen2 to PC2
setting 2 - screen2, keyboard, mouse to PC2, screen1 to PC1

Probably best to use USB everything on a USB kvm.

I have a user whom wants to use two computers with two PCs,

huh? A computer and a PC is the same thing.

I'm not sure I understand what you want?

PC1 -> keyb,mouse,screen1+screen2
Which means both screens show content form PC1

then switch to PC2 and:

PC2 -> keyb, mouse, screen1+screen2
and now both screens show content from PC2

Or

PC1 -> screen1
PC2 -> screen2
both controlled by the same keyboard and mouse?

If they aren't physically closeby, by that I mean in the same room, then I really don't understand.

Maybe what he wants is to use Remote Desktop from Pc1 to Pc2, and have the Remote desktop screen span both Monitors at PC1's location?

If neither perhaps try rephrasing, and maybe explaining in a bit more detail

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Sorry for double post, but also mention what Operating system this is to be done on for both PC's.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

He does not want to use a KVM switch to switch between monitors. On Vacunita post, the second option:
PC1 -> screen1
PC2 -> screen2
both controlled by the same keyboard and mouse
Both PCs are next to each but are on different networks. Both PCs have XP OS. Does not want to use RDP or use a switch that he has to push a button.

KVMs do not require you to run the video through them. They operate with power from the keyboard and will work fine with just the keyboard or with keyboard and mouse.

How would the user propose to let the keyboard know that it should connect to a specific computer. There are no thought controls yet. Several allow you to change with key combinations. I have several customers using belkin which takes a [scroll lock][scroll lock][cursor up] to change between systems. Without video switching it would be more difficult to know that the change happened.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

He does not want to use any hotkeys. He says simply, I say simply and know this may be impossible, wants to be able to use the same keyboard and mouse and go between both monitors.

Then exactly how does he propose that the keyboard and mouse know what PC to control. He needs to understand that he has to somehow initiate the switch physically (until there's a mind control device that can read his thoughts). There's no way he could have both systems responding to the same keyboard and mouse at the same time.

The switch is the simplest way. The Monitors can be connected to their own PC with no kvm switching involved as edfair points out.

But the mouse and keyboard can only control one PC at a time.

I suppose he could use a male to male splitter cable (if such a thing exists) for the mouse and keyboard, but that would mean both PC's would react to the mouse and keyboard input at the same time. Which may lead to undesired effects.

Is it so difficult to just press a button when he wants to control PC1 and then press it again when he wants to control PC2?

Phil AKA Vacunita

Why doesn't he just use one PC with two network cards and some router instructions. That way he could access the two networks with simultaneous ouptut.

Trying to syncronise two PC's that closely wouldn't be practical.

Regards,
David.

At some point the user will have to compromise their wishes with available technology. You know, being reasonable and all that.

Why is the user on two different networks? How about virtualizing the second PC?

Tony

Users helping Users...

Not sure what your users situation is, or how much money he has, but... If they are just doing tasks that don't require a photo quality monitor.

I am planning on doing something similar with my old xp machine and new Win7 machine. And it does involve a kvm switch and rdp. I just bought a BIG (28in) monitor for $309 free shipping.

I can use the kvm switch to switch between computers when I feel like it or for bios level access. And, can used rdp to have remote access to the other computer. This screen is big enough that if you are satisfied with a 19in monitor you can run an rdp session in a window and essentially have two "normal" sized monitors. And, if you don't need to run rdp you have a really nice big monitor!

You could also accomplish something similar running dual monitors on one computer and then start an rdp session on one of the monitors.

I know this isn't what your user is really for, but I have found that many times people ask for something and don't realize it is not technically feasible or there may be a better solution available. If you can show them how it works they may be happy.

Well, not 100% sure what your customer wants, but here is an idea they could try:

KVM switch with dual monitors, keyboard, mouse, audio...
On each machine, set the computer display settings to use the correct monitor...

So, for PC1, have it default to Monitor1.... for PC2, have it default to Monitor2.

That way, when the switch command is given from the KVM, PC1 would go to monitor 1 only (from what the user sees), and they keyboard and mouse (and audio if desired) will follow. Same thing with PC2 - will go to Monitor2.

Now for the KVM switch not being easy enough. Many KVM switches have buttons on them used to switch between ports.

I personally have a 4 port Raritan USB KVM Switch. It works out really well. It's got the 4 KVM ports as well as a 4 port HUB which can be switched simultaneously between PCs with the KVM portion, or can be switched independently. Besides that, the main unit has buttons on it for switching everything around, so you don't have to use hotkeys on the keyboard if you so wish (I personally prefer the keyboard hotkeys, but to each his own).

This is the Raritan I picked up:

They have enterprise-level models mostly, but this one is more the home/small business level.

And the also have stuff for working over a network, in case the PCs are too far apart to use a typical KVM switch.

Another brand I've used with no real issues is IOGear, thuogh I've only used their simple 2 PC (PS/2) KVM switches, with no box in between. I've not used the multi-featured ones.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Lets recap:

PC1 & PC2 are located in TWO different rooms/buildings, but reachable over the network...

user wants to control both PC1 & PC2 with one mouse and keyboard on TWO screens, DOES NOT want to use a KVM switch (there are ethernet KVM switches btw)...

User says: Simple...

you said: Simple, implying IMPOSSIBLE...

I say: Simple and easy to set up...

Setup PC1 with TWO displays...

install UltraVNC on both PC's, PC1 as CLIENT and PC2 as SERVER...

have VNC open up on the second screen on PC1, which connects over the network to PC2...

finished...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Alternatively, 2 network cards on both PCs, and a crossover cable between the 2 PCs and use Synergy to go from one to the other.

Just wondering aloud...what about RDP with /span.
Would that work over 2 networks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back