Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple message lights for tech support

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCMark

IS-IT--Management
Jul 9, 2008
We have a Mitel 5000 with 5320 phones for each employee. We have three employees who field tech support calls. The calls go into a support mailbox, and we would like to find a way to have a light blink on each of the three support personnel's phone. They already have a MWI for their own personal mailbox. Is there any way to have a key lit on each of those phones, in addition to the light for their personal voicemails, if there are unread messages in the support mailbox?

Thanks very much for suggestions!

You have stumbled upon a limitation of the 5000. Best option is vmail to email and make the email a distribution mailbox.

Otherwise you can add the tech support messages to one user. They will hit the msg light to see which mailbox has a message.

Xarios application server integrated to the 5000 will allow for this function.

Just want to update people on the forum. Our technicians were able to find a way to use phantom extensions and Dynamic extension express to accomplish what we need--multiple phones being able to have a message waiting light both for their own private voicemail box and a shared support box. I'm not quite sure what they've done, but i will find out the details and post.

Thanks for all the comments, I appreciate it.

Just wanted to give some details on what our phone contractor did to help with the VM light issue. First, they set up a phantom extension for the support mailbox. (It's not linked directly to a phone.) They then setup a user with that extension and enabled dynamic extension express. They setup the three extensions that should have a light flash when there's a message left in the support mailbox ad IP phone 1, IP phone 2 and softphone. Voila, it works! Absolutely no idea why this works, it just does. Hopefully this can help some of you who may run into this same situation. Mitel should definitely address this limitation--it's pretty standard to have a mailbox that needs to blink on more than one phone. Having to use a kluge like this is crazy, but at least it can be done.

Thanks to all who commented.

Watch out with the solution (or trick, or kluge) above.

Firstly let me explain why it appears to solve this issue, it's pretty simple.
In later software, if a User gets a voicemail message, it will light the lamp on ALL of that Users DEE associated phones. For example if the mailbox linked to their Main Desk Phone gets a message, it will also light the lamp on their Home IP phone, and their other desk phone etc.
In the case above, the User is a phantom and its associated phones were actually not other phones that belonged to the phantom, but instead they belonged to other people in the support team.

However....

When an OAI application downloads data from the 5000, it can get confused as to who owns which phones. This becomes apparent when laid out like this:

Support User 1 - Owns ext 1001
Support User 2 - Owns ext 1002
Support User 3 - Owns ext 1003
Phantom User - Owns ext 1001, 1002 and 1003

If the OAI application tries to use obtained User and DEE data from from the 5000 to determine who owns which phone, it can cause problems.
I've found that Vmail to Email and the Xarios App Server solution to be good.

As suggested earlier, Mitel ideally need to add a proper way to light lamps on more than one phone for a single mailbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back