Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Lookups in one report

Status
Not open for further replies.

hansdebadde

Technical User
Jan 20, 2005
CA
I have a report i am creating useing Access 2010 and my data is on a SQL 2008 R2 backend. The main table for the report tbl_CB_or_CA has multiple lookups in it, they are:
CB_or_CA_Method_ID
CB_or_CA_Source_ID
CB_or_CA_Target_ID

These are the IDs that link to the field LookupID in another table tbl_Lookups and the field str_Item has the text for
Methods ["email", "phone call", "message"]
Sources ["manager","employee","supervisor"]
Targets ["manager","employee","supervisor"]
I added the tbl_Lookups to the record source for the report 3 times, one linking to ...Method_ID, one to...Source_ID etc.
These tables were renamed as tbl_Lookups, tbl_Lookups_1, tbl_Lookups_2 by Access. When i try to put in str_Item from each in the report, access keeps switching them back to tbl_Lookups and i get three copies of Method, rather than Method, Source and Target.

I hope this makes sense. I need help!

1)right click on each lookup table and give a alias
2)join each field on the right field

If all the tables reside in SQL 2008, I would either use a linked view from the server or create a pass-through with all of the joins. It should be much more efficient.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Access did all the alias work for me. I made sure the alias's were the same as in the relationship window. I did join by the right field.

I am using linked tables? What is a linked view, sorry for my ignorance but what/how?

You can create views on SQL Server that are similar to select queries. Then link to the views as you would link to a table. This moves much of the processing to the server where it belongs.

A pass-through query would probably provide more efficient data retrieval.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Awesome Duane, it worked! I learned something today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back