Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

multiple lines on a 66 block 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyroelectro

IS-IT--Management
Nov 22, 2010
US
i am trying to terminate 4 cat5e cables onto a 66 block and have two lines on each cable. how do i do this? the phones we are using only will detect 2 lines in each rj12

Terminate all 4 pairs of each cable down one side of the block, in the normal order (blue, orange, green, brown, lather, rinse, repeat). If you terminated your jacks 568-B then loop line 1 to each blue pair, and line 2 to each green pair. If you used 568-A then use the orange pair for line 2.

im sorry i am new at this. my phones have two rj12 jacks in them and can hold 4 lines while using both. my 66 block has the lines 1-4 going down the block. im not understanding how you say terminate down the block?? im very sorry but how do i terminate four cat 5 cables down the block and only use two lines on each since i am only using two phones?

Go here:
The picture shows a 66 block, and you will see on the left hand column it represents each of your 4-pair Cat-5 cables punched down White/Blue-Blue/White, White/Orange-Orange/White, White/Green-Green/White, and White/Brown-Brown/White.

So cable 1 takes up the first 8 rows, punch your 2nd cable down on the next 8 rows, using the same order of colors, then the 3rd and 4th cables.

Now you have one cable bringing in the 4 lines from the phone company, do the looping jumpers as it shows, color to color.

Install your jacks (2 for each phone location) using the Blue and Orange pairs on the 1st jack (Line 1 and 2) and the Green and Brown pairs on the 2nd jack (Line 3 and 4). On the 2nd jack, the Green pair goes where the Blue pair went on the 1st jack, and the Brown pair goes where the Orange pair went on the 1st jack.

66 blocks are still very viable for terminating cables for POTS lines. While daisy chaining using a 66/50 block can be clunky, there are variants of the block that are practical for something like that:

This block will support 6 telephone lines and allow you to connect 5 stations per line (1 in/5 out).

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

DEXMAN, those are called 66 feature blocks. I use those exact same ones for residential and small business wiring situations as you have described.

alwayslearning

66 blocks are old school and should beroved and replaced with something that is cat5e old quad and 3 pair wire should also be replaced with cat5e telephone works well on cat5e . Data does not work well on telephone wire
evolve

Cat5e will replace telephone wire eventually once all the old school phone teks retire or die off witch ever comes first...time to turn in your staple guns boys

don't even think of installing phone wire Cat5e doen't cost much more and you can do more with cat5e than with crappy phone wire

Suttle's 66 blocks are rated 5e.

There is really no reason to use CAT 5e or higher for basic POTS line service.

Data...absolutely yes.
Voice...no.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

I agree with skip555, and to expand further, it depends on the data and what type of transmission medium it requires!

....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back