Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple line ascii to Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

joell165

Instructor
Jun 3, 2002
US
I need to convert an ascii file of multiple lines per record to an Access table. The problem I have is when I do the conversion information that should be all in one record becomes multiple records. Each record in the ascii file looks similar to this:

Smith, John 3462 (212)123-4567 456-67-5673
Male 23 Main Street Sep 2,3,4,5,6,9,15,21,22,24
Oct 1,3,6,24
Nov 2,3,4,9,17,

As you can see, not only is the information on multiple lines (between 3 and 7)data overlaps from line to line.

I am at a total loss.
Thanks.

Joel

This data offends on several levels
1) it is not normalized (you want to have a table of dates, a table of people, and a table of dates associated with people)
2) it has lots of implied information (e.g. the various comma separated numbers are all associated with the same date).

Because of this, I would be tempted to clean the data before importing it, or write some VB code to do the importation (or C++ code to clean the data if you are so inclined).

Also, there used to be a program called 'Monarch' that could deal with information like this (I used it back in 1997 or so).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back