Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple junction points for Cat5e?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark128

Technical User
Jun 1, 2005
US
I am wiring my house with Cat5e. The ETCON DD1 (4 line input by 12 home run locations - what I think is a 110 block) directs that I run home runs. My challenge is that I have to go from one attic to another attic before fishing it into the room. Can I go from one DD1 to another DD1 then fish it into the room, or do I have to do "home runs"? Alternatively, could I patch cat5 wires "end-to-end" to extend the run home? If no on stacking DD1s, how do I patch cat5 wires "end-to-end"?

Thanks,
Mark

what is the end use for the cat 5 ?

voice splice away ,

data should be home run under 100 meters

I have not used that particular junction block. I looked at a picture of it on the web, and it is not really a 110 or 66, but serves the same purpose.

It looks like you could use another DD1 in your secondary location to feed those rooms. Meaning you would have one feed to your first DD1, and a second feed to the other. This applies if you are using the lines for analog voice jacks, but not a computer network. I am guessing you already know that the DD1 is for voice only.

Don't use that product. Or if you want to use it punch all of your station wires (cables to the wall jacks) down to 110 blocks and use cross connect wire to the DD1.

The whole idea of punchdown terminations is to terminate all the station wiring in a logical and permanent fashion while allowing easy Moves, Adds and Changes. The DD1 will require you to repunch the station wires anytime you need to make a change. Not good...

For me the easiest way to handle phone lines are illustrated in these links:

hi-res

low-res

Four lines enter from the NID in the four port surface mount box at the top center and are broken out to single line jacks. From there line 1 goes to a DSL filter and on to the DSL modem and the blue pair on all the regular station jacks. Line 2 is the fax line and goes to a Stick and on to the center pair at the fax and modem jacks. Line 3 is a rollover from line 1 and goes to the orange pair on all the regular station jacks.

At the station jacks the blue and orange pairs are terminated at the left top jack and the green and brown pairs are terminated at the top right jack. This results in 2 2-line jacks per wall plate.

I find this method to be fast, easy and simple to understand. Any configuration of line X on pair X can be implemented easily and without disturbing the permanent wiring. If the customer decides to upgrade to a phone system that can be done without disturbing the permanent wiring. If you need to convert the phone wires to network wires (IP phones for instance) then all you need to do is rewire the wall plates. If you look closely you will notice that the wires at stations 14-17 are not punched down so those jacks are not "hot" but ready to go. Easy, flexible, inexpensive and uses standard parts.

The only advantage of 66 blocks over this method is the ability isolate individual station jacks by removing the bridging clips. This is fine for "phone guy" types but I don't want to have to go onsite to solve that sort of simple problem.

The troubleshooting method I usually employ is:

1. Unplug the jacks at the surface mount box above the 110 block and check for dial tone. Sometimes you have to wait a minute or two for dial tone to return if there is a defective phone that has shorted the line. No dial tone then check at NID and usually call the phone company.

2. Once dial tone returns to the jacks at the surface mount box then reconnect the 110 block. If dial tone drops then I have the customer unplug all the phones and other devices from the wall jacks. Next check for dial tone while reconnecting each phone or other device one at a time. Usually when one of the phones is reconnected dial tone will drop indicating that particular phone is defective, usually the victim of lightning.

3. If all of the above fails I will go and troubleshoot. This is almost never required. Even if I have to replace the loop wires on the 110 block it takes at most 10 minutes.

Some may prefer 66 blocks for phones. My feeling is that 66 blocks are an "old" technology that cannot meet current specifications for twisted pair installations. Not really a problem for POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) but if you have installed cat5 or better cable why not terminate it in the best possible way?

Caveats:

Not installed (yet) in the picture is a surge suppressor that will be mounted to the right of the surface mount box.

DO NOT use stranded wire on punchdowns. Stranded wire may work for a while then cause problems.

When crimping plugs onto solid wire BE SURE the plugs are designed for either solid wire or both solid and stranded wire. Close examination of the plug contacts will show either or both a "spike" for stranded wire or a "saddle" for solid wire.

This method is suitable for most homes and small offices. If you have more that 50 station wires you might want to look at more traditional methods.

In Conclusion:

mark128 I know that this is not what you wanted to hear. Skip555 and bkrike are correct in that if the end use of these cables is telephone you can just about do anything you want and still have it work. My point is that while you are running wire do it right. Wire is cheap. Cat5e is under $60 per 1000 feet. Home run everything back to ONE central location and be glad you did later.

i would'nt buy that dd1 crap. just go to alltel and pick up 2 50 pair 110 blocks. as skip mentioned keep it under 100' feet and you'll be fine. I have seen implmentations where a subgrid is moutned in the ceiling or in a column where the connection would look like this idf--->subgrid--->station. And they pass cat 5 testing. the purpose being if you need to add more cables you only need to pull say 50' instead of 300'.

wires i dont understand why you skipped the 5th pair and only terminated 5 cables per row. 110 is designed for 6 per row with the violet slate open. maybe for esthetics?

What you speak of could be considered a:
Consolidation Points
The ANSI/TIA/EIA-568-B.1 (‘568-B.1) Commercial Building Telecommuni-cations Cabling Standard defines a consolidation point as:

A location for interconnection between horizontal cables extending from building pathways and horizontal cables extending into furniture pathways.

The standard goes on to explain that only one consolidation point may be used within any horizontal cable run and that it should be at least 15m (49 ft) from the telecommunications room.

Siemon’s ZU-2 Enclosure with S210® Block

In order to facilitate MACs, the consolidation point should be installed in an area that is easily accessible by technicians. Consolidation points are often located within a lockable enclosure, such as Siemon’s CPEV (see pages 5.2-5.3 of the Siemon 2001 catalog). This enclosure is mounted to a column or a wall in proximity to the work area. The interconnection within these types of enclosures is typically accomplished by terminating the cables that extend from the telecommunications room to S110® (category 5e) or S210® (category 6) connecting blocks. Solid twisted pair cable is used between the consolidation point and the work area outlet. Typically, the consolidation point end of this cable is terminated with S110® or S210® field installable patch plugs while the work area end is terminated to the back of the work area outlet.

> wires i dont understand why you skipped the 5th pair and
> only terminated 5 cables per row. 110 is designed for 6 per
> row with the violet slate open. maybe for esthetics?

Easier to "see" the cable breaks, easier to count and when using S110->8P8C cables easier for a customer to hit the right pairs. Just a personal preference. For me it seldom makes a difference in the number of 110 blocks.

Has anyone ever used Cat5e 25/50 pair? I am wondering if this is a good product for linking two or more locations and if it is widely used or not.

I've used it. It's mainly used to connect a switch to a patch panel but I suppose you could connect two close terminal rooms.

Or two attics for a home network and not really lose noticable degradation on your network. A 50 pair would cost about $2.00 a foot and give you 12 data connections.

why would you install 50 pair between to attics for just a few cables in a residence. that makes no sense.

and i have used 25 pair cat5 between mdf and idf, terminated on 110 and it works beautifully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back