Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple IP set-ups

Status
Not open for further replies.

memarkiam

IS-IT--Management
Jan 3, 2002
GB
I have to plug my laptop into various different client offices. Each one requires a different set of IP/Router/DNS settings.

At the moment I manually change them each time. What a bore!

Can I store muptiple IP settings, and switch between them on the fly?

Many thanks for any help.

Mark Lewis
London

Thanks for this. It's interesting. But I don't think it solves my problem.

I did try it, but one of my required settings is "Obtain IP/DNS Automatically", and selecting this just deleted all the IP entries I set up through the 'add IP address' interface.

Thanks anyway.

Cheers,
Mark

You say obtain IP/DNS automatically is required? Then your computer is using DHCP, so you should only need to plug into the "new" network and refresh your NIC to get the information from the currently connected network. (ipconfig/renew at command)

Windows XP has a built in functionality to set as DHCP and put in static IPs too. It may be an upgrade that you don't want to make but we tested it here when setting up our wireless network. DCHP on our laptop for the domain and static IP for the wireless network. Just had to reboot and it would detect the right network in the right configuration.

I've been told that you can have more than one static IP setup but we only tested with DHCP and one static IP

pddxr,
could you provide some more info on that or point me in the direction of some documentation it's just the info i've been looking for.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back