Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple IP addresses for one A Record in DNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryoun1b

IS-IT--Management
Apr 10, 2002
US
Hi There,

I am trying to figure out how to add one A record that will return 5 IP addresses. Is there any way to do this with ONE A RECORD?

The point here is that I am trying to create a VPN tunnel using a FQDN that will resolve to one of a pool of 5 IP addresses.

Anyone have any ideas how I can set this up in my DNS?

Thanks!

No I don't think this is possible. A records are 1 to 1. Map a hostname to an IP address.

If you want one IP to resolve to multiple IP addresses, you would have to use some kind of load balancing.

For example, in Windows 2000/2003 you can create Network Load Balancing clusters. User access the cluster using one Virtual IP address or Hostname. This one address is then routed to two or more server IP addresses.

-later

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

RoundRobin
A Roundrobin is a local balancing mechanism used by DNS servers to share and distribute network resource loads. You can use it to rotate all resource record (RR) types contained in a query answer if multiple RRs are found.

There are several sites that explain how to set this up, it might help with that you are looking for.

Theres a pretty extensive article on the MS DNS Help as well as for Bind.

Emo1313

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back