Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple instances or multiple VMs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajuntank

IS-IT--Management
May 20, 2003
US
I would like some suggestions on this as I am at the crossroads of making a decision on whether I implement multiple SQL instances or just create multiple VMs of SQL. Some of my apps require a backend SQL database. I want to implement MS Sharepoint and MS Lync which will both require a backend SQL server. I will have some smaller apps that also need a SQL server, so I'm not quite sure how to proceed. I don't think I want to house all databases under the same instance as I seem to recall that's not a good idea from a Sharepoint and OCS/Lync perspective; it might be ok with the smaller apps though. My knowledge of SQL is basic admin, but I've only ever had to deal with a single instance install, so the multiple instances would be outside my comfort zone...but willing to learn.

if the machine is properly configured there might not be much of a difference between multiple instances on one vm or multiple vm's with a single instance.

But you need to consider the licensing issues with multiple vm's, and this goes both to the OS and SQL Server licensing.

One thing to take in consideration also is that many applications, due to bad coding, do not work well with named instances or sharing the instance with other software. be sure to test them throughout before putting them on named instance

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back