Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

multiple instances of rundll32.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhi81

Programmer
Jan 13, 2007
Hi all,
i created an asp.net application which uses crystal report for printing invoices.

Everything works well and as desired but today day it wasn't responding at all. On further investigation i found out that the server was loaded with atleast 25 instances of rundll32.exe processes and when i killed a few it started up again.

I know that rundll32.exe is required to run the .net dll file but i am not sure if something is not causing the application to close and it stays in the memory or is it going in a deadlock situation.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Note:provided Network Service write permission on C:\Windows\Temp which is required as crystal report creates temporary files in there.

I have also used application.lock and application.unlock on print button click event to maintain the print queue intact when multiple requests come in.

What I suspect is happening is that some instances of CR are not being freed when you're done with them.

Run FxCop against your application. Look in it's (large!) output list for messages that say you should implement IDisposable on a class. Do so, then run FxCop again until you don't see any more of those messages.

Chip H.

Thanks for the reply Chip. I will try to implement your suggestion.

I ran the FXCop and there was no such message to implement the IDisposable class.

On tracing back the source for those rundll's i found that it was being generated by asp.net's w3p.exe. I am lost here any help will be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back