Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple instance of a universe with different connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

byk

Programmer
Jul 18, 2002
GB
Is it possible to have multiple instance of same universe running with different connections in the same machine ?

Thank you

Yes, connection of the universe is directly related to the user/group. You can change the connection for a given combination of group/universe or user/universe

Ties Blom

But can I run multiple instance at the same time from the same machine ?
Also can you please explain the imeplementation detail of your suggestion in brief ?

Thanks a lot

Okay, in that case the universe connection that is used is dependant on the active user. So, one can define a user X and a user X_test that both use the same universe.
In supervisor you can set the universe connection for user X to 'production' and the one for X_test to 'test'.

No problem.

However I suspect you may run into trouble when you try to run 2 instances of BO from one desktop. I have never tried that, so perhaps you can check this out..

Ties Blom

You should have no problem. If your connections are asyncrhonous, it works fine with multiple instances.

Steve Krandel
Intuit

Thanks Ties & Steve.

I tried some tests around this and found that we cannot simultaneously use two instance of same universe with different connections in the same box.

If looks like connections to universe is stored at file level and not at instance level.

Why would you need to do this at the same time on the same box? When would this really happen?

Steve Krandel
Intuit

To run the same report against different databases

So, run them sequentially.

If you log on to BO with different IDs it works fine. I've done this many times.

Steve Krandel
Intuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back