Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple iexplore.exe bogging down computer. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterberglin

Technical User
Mar 23, 2008
US
Lately, when i click on internet explorer to open there is some hesistation then it will come up after some time elapses. After I close it for the first time, then try clicking on it again to open the program, nothing happens.

When I view the task manager, I see TONS of iexplore.exe in the proccesses. If this builds and builds, finally the computer says not enought memory, etc.

I am running AVG 8.0 and nothing came up on the scan.

Im running the latest spybot s+d (most recent updates installed and fully immunized. When I ran the check, there was one item something along the lines of the following(i didnt get the exact)

Software/Microsoft/InternetExplorer/Main Feature Contron/feature/LocalMachine/Lockdown setting

I clicked fix problem, but it is still continuing.

Maybe you should try IEFix or reinstall the IE.

Meanwhile, this command will kill all instances of IE in a row: taskkill /f /im iexplore.exe

Cheers,
Dian

Did the iefix Dian suggest work? If not it might be worthwhile to run sfc. Please let us know.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Sorry, my bad. Sfc means system file checker. Bring up command prompt (start, run, type cmd hit enter), then type sfc/scannow and put your windows disc in. It will check all your system files to make sure none are corrupted.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Say, I'll have to give that a try at home if I can remember! That's a neat little tool. Hopefully it'll help with this situation..

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

n/p thanks for the star. It may not fix the problem but it is a neat to use. Although there is a bit of a pain with it, if like say your windows cd has a different service pack then the computer, you must put one in with the same service pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back