Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

multiple host A records 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdtech9198

IS-IT--Management
Feb 14, 2008
US
We recently move DNS to a new server. I moved the .dns file from the older server to the new one and created the new zone. I notice there are multiple host A records for the same ip address. How can I clean these up without going in manually and doing it.

Will these clear over time?

We are using server 2003 DNS is set to Primary non ad integrated.

Thank you.

depends on the situation. you can try to turn on scavenging...

-Brandon Wilson
MCSE:Security00/03
MCSA:Messaging00
MCSA:Security03
A+

I was reading that sometime this might do more harm then good. How does scavenging work do I just flip the switch. What if I have host A records that I have entered manually will those be lost?

You're still allowed to Google

[google]dns scavenging[/google]

Pat Richard MVP

scavenging doesnt affect static dns records you made yourself unless you check the box to allow scavenging.

the problem with scavenging, is that when its set to low, it can delete things like DC SRV records and cause hiccups to occur. If you set it for 7 days or so, you should be pretty safe. From there, you can do an immediate scavenge on the zone.

since the dns zone was moved from another server though, scavenging may not work

-Brandon Wilson
MCSE:Security00/03
MCSA:Messaging00
MCSA:Security03
A+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back