Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple group policies for different departments

Status
Not open for further replies.

despierto

Programmer
Jun 25, 2004
US
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows how/if I can set up a different group policy for different departments. For example, I have a data entry department where the manager does not want them to be able to do anything except data entry... So no internet, no email, no hope for a better tomorrow... (I hope she doesn't read this!)

All the other departments in the company have more realistic job expectations, and need email, faxing, internet, etc.

Is there an easy way I can do this through group policy? Also, does anyone know of a good tutorial or resource for the newb with a $0 training budget?

Kevin

Just use ADUC to create a separate OU for that department under the SBS Users OU, and put all the people in that department into that OU. Then create a NEW group policy and link it to that new OU. Don't modify an existing policy. That new policy will only apply to the users that you placed in that OU.

Dave Shackelford
MCSE, CCNA, Microsoft MVP: Exchange
Shackelford Consulting

If you have not done so already, I would suggest you install GPMC which is a free download from Microsoft.com. it will make GPO management a lot more understandable.

Also refer to me login script faq in the vbscript forum for steps to create a new gpo. Sorry I am not providing a link, responding via my PocketPC phone.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

You have to love typing on a PocketPC. The above should have read refer to MY login script FAQ.

Anyway, here is the link: faq329-5798

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back