Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple FTP Servers Behind Linksys Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

link470

Technical User
Sep 1, 2005
CA
I'll start by saying what I've posted in other forums.

-----------------------------
"Hi! I have an FTP server, I'm using WSFTP Server on one of my boxes, the ports are forwarded to it correctly and everything. It works very well. Port 21 of course.

Local IP address for that system is 192.168.1.112, now I'd like to make a second FTP server with 192.168.1.113, and have that system run on port 5000. Should be no problem.

Well, it has been, I tried to connect via CuteFTP as thats my client of choice and works perfectly with all others. I can't access the account I made. At least, not when I go outside the router. When I type in 192.168.1.113 into cuteftp and port 5000, it works fine. But not my IP address. "Invalid Port Command" comes up. So I figured, alright, screw this, lets go in hardcore style.

So I run CMD from the run line. I enter in FTP and start the command line process. I was able to login, the problem apparently comes when I do a directory listing, which cute would do automatically on login. The problem is posted in the screenshot. Again, my port forwards, 21 to .112 and 5000 to .113. Thanks in advance!

[link470]"

Screenshot: ------------------------

So then, I received a reply from someone, thinking it was a NAT issue.
------------------------
"Pretty common issue, and according to this KB, it looks like the NAT device is not doing its job
FTP Error: 500 Invalid PORT Command
"
------------------------

Here is my latest response:
------------------------
I'm still trying to get it to work, I ordered another linksys router, a newer one to try out and see if that's the problem. But I talked to someone earlier who said it wasn't the router at all they didn't think. He thinks its the FTP server not using the correct ports as PASV, but in WS FTP Server it wont let you change that. You can only choose one number, the server port, by default, 21. I set a range in my router as well, I made it 4999 to 5001 just to make sure. Still nothing, invalid port address.

I tried as well, setting that machine as DMZ. Didn't make a difference, still can't directory scan it. Tried port 18 as well since that article said above port 21 can have problems sometimes, so I set forwarding from 17 to 18. Still nothing.

Do you really think a new router would help?

[LINK470]

[ EDIT ]

Ok, check it, so I went into my router, and went to UPnP forwarding instead. I made a new one for the incoming port 18, to be redirected to port 21 internally on the local IP of the second server. So I figured that would work. I definately did get closer, but still can't access everything fully, instead of failing completely, it freezes at the list command in ftp prompt, so I tried CuteFTP. Attached is a screenshot of the error."

Screenshot:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back