Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple forests to one forest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blutch

IS-IT--Management
Sep 19, 2002
BE
Hi,
We have the lucky job to need to migrate several forests with one domain to one forest with several child domains (each forest becomes a child domain in the new one).
How can we do this with the least impact on our users?
What tools can we use? (third party??)
Thx for the info.

ADMT v3.0

You can also use third party tools from providers such as Quest (huge $$$$), but to me ADMT works just fine. Because you are doing an interforest migration the process is nondestructive to the source objects so if you screw up you can always back out without issue 99% of the time (that is unless you've migrated the computer accounts and translated the local profiles). There is also a really good ADMT guide published by Microsoft that will walk you through the whole process somewhere out there on the big, bad, scary Internets. The key to the process for me has always been to test the migration process with some dummy accounts first just to make sure that everything goes well. After that, migrate the users in small batches and verify after each batch is complete.

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

I agree on the ADMT. If your domain trusts are working fine, this works great. My last place had a client that needed to flatten 29 child domains to the parent domain. ADMT made it clean and smooth.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back