Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple exchange servers on network

Status
Not open for further replies.

skooter2

Technical User
Mar 2, 2004
US
this is somewhat similar to Bobsa30's problem.

There are two Exchange servers (one is W2K, one is 2k3) installed within the same network behind a Cisco router and SonicWall firewall. Both servers host multiple e-mail domain addresses. Users cannot send mail from one server to users on the other server. From both Exc. servers, you can ping the other server. Mail originated from Telnet will be delivered to either exchange server when originated from the opposite server. It appears to be a DNS problem, but how to resolve it?

Thanks for any suggestions. Skooter2

Using dhcp? (Two dhcp servers on the same network requires the use of a superscope with two member scopes so that they won't bump heads and try giving out addresses to the wrong clients.) Has this ever worked? What does ipconfig /all show? Anything in the error logs?

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin check out Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.

TTinChicago

I've never heard of a superscope, but I've been thrown into this job with only common sense and my reading abilities to guide me. Please forgive my ignorance.

This is probably more complicated that I made it seem. The two servers are located in two separate VLANS managed through smart switches. Static IP addresses are being used in both VLANS. The MX records for both Ex Servers are pointed at the respective mail servers from separate off-site hosts.

It is possible that the routing is being blocked by an outside router that prevents the messages from being re-routed back through the firewall and Cisco router to the exc. servers? The firewall is configured to allow LAN to LAN and WAN to LAN.

To further complicate this, some communications tests seem to want to resolve at the IP address of a data server located at a third VLAN's within the network.

??

Run the following query on one Exchange server:

nslookup -type=MX <domainname>

Where <domainname> is a domain hosted on the other Exchange server.

Then, when you get a primary mail exchanger for that domain, run:

nslookup <hostname>

Where <hostname> is the name of the primary mail exchanger.

Is the IP address that is resolved the actual IP address of the other Exchange server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back