Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

multiple err handling

Status
Not open for further replies.

remeng

Technical User
Jul 27, 2006
US
Hi All;

I am running into a situation where I get a runtime 53 error that I am not able to handle correctly. The error occurs on the second occurrence of an error in the DO UNTIL loop when processing the ted.txt to TED FIVE.txt file name conversion. I expect the error to occur, but it should jump to the Skip_record: section of code.

I think it is occurring because it isn't clearing the first error and resetting the error handling process on the second loop.

I've tried to add / remove the following which didn't resolve it.

I've tried:

On Error GoTo -1
On error GoTo 0
err.clear
err.raise

Macro Name = change_file_names ()

The macro general order of operation:

worksheet Menu

- User selects the root folder pathway where files to be renamed are located
- Select if sub folders should be check if the file is not found in the root folder
- Click on the File Name List icon to go to the File Names worksheet

worksheet File Names

- Enter the list of original file names into the Original Names column
- Enter the corresponding new file names into the Corrected Names column
- Go to the Menu worksheet and click the RUN FILE NAME CHANGE button (button calls Sub change_file_names macro)

Code where error 53 occurs

Code:
    ' Changes the file name from the origional to the new // corrected name

Name pathway & origional_name_value As pathway & corrected_name_value

Full Code:

Code:
Sub change_file_names()

'root folder pathway

pathway = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Menu").folder_pathway_field.Value & "\"

'Index file_name_table

origional_name_index = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("File Names").ListObjects("file_name_table").ListColumns("Original Name").Index
corrected_name_index = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("File Names").ListObjects("file_name_table").ListColumns("Corrected Name").Index
change_status_index = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("File Names").ListObjects("file_name_table").ListColumns("Change Status").Index

'clears the change status column values

ThisWorkbook.Sheets("File Names").ListObjects("file_name_table").ListColumns(change_status_index).DataBodyRange.ClearContents

ThisWorkbook.Sheets("File Names").ListObjects("file_name_table").ListColumns(change_status_index).DataBodyRange.Value = "Not Changed"

'Count the total number of records in the file_name_table

file_name_total_count = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("File Names").Range("file_name_table").ListObject.ListRows.Count

current_record_row = 1
err_count = 0

start_change:

Do Until current_record_row = file_name_total_count + 1

'record values

origional_name_value = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("File Names").ListObjects("file_name_table").DataBodyRange(current_record_row, origional_name_index).Value
    corrected_name_value = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("File Names").ListObjects("file_name_table").DataBodyRange(current_record_row, corrected_name_index).Value

'-------------------------- change file name from origional_name_value to corrected_name_value

On Error GoTo check_sub_folder

' Changes the file name from the origional to the new // corrected name

'record file name change satus

ThisWorkbook.Sheets("File Names").ListObjects("file_name_table").DataBodyRange(current_record_row, change_status_index).Value = "Changed"

GoTo next_record

check_sub_folder:

On Error GoTo -1

On Error GoTo Skip_record

If ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Menu").sub_file_name_verification_check_box.Value = True Then

'first two characters of origional file name to use for sub-folder find.  Sets to Upper Case for folder name lookup

first_two_characters = UCase(Left(origional_name_value, 2))

sub_folder_path = pathway & "\" & first_two_characters & "\"

Name sub_folder_path & origional_name_value As sub_folder_path & corrected_name_value

'record file name change satus

ThisWorkbook.Sheets("File Names").ListObjects("file_name_table").DataBodyRange(current_record_row, change_status_index).Value = "Changed"

GoTo next_record

Else

Skip_record:

err_count = err_count + 1

ThisWorkbook.Sheets("File Names").ListObjects("file_name_table").DataBodyRange(current_record_row, change_status_index).Value = "Error"

End If

next_record:

'Sets current_record_row to the next row

current_record_row = current_record_row + 1

Loop

GoTo end_macro

change_status_to_error:

ThisWorkbook.Sheets("File Names").ListObjects("file_name_table").DataBodyRange(current_record_row, change_status_index).Value = "Error"

If MsgBox("Error on record: " & current_record_row & " - " & origional_name_value & Chr(10) & Chr(10) & "Do you want to go to the next record?", vbCritical + vbYesNo, "ERROR: FILE NAME CHANGE") = vbYes Then

GoTo start_change

Else

End If

end_macro:

End Sub

Here is the zip file with the test files and folders.

Link

Thanks for the help!

Mike

I get a runtime 53 error" - is it File not found (Error 53)?
If so, you are trying to rename the file that does not exist (any more?). Maybe you already renamed that file?
I would check:
Code:
Debug.Print "Org file: " & pathway & origional_name_value
Debug.Print "New file: " & pathway & corrected_name_value

---- Andy

"Hmm...they have the internet on computers now"--Homer Simpson

It seems that you have not cleared previous error handling:

[pre]On Error GoTo -1 ' add to reset error and set new On Error
On Error GoTo check_sub_folder[/pre]

An article about error handling here.

combo

Without going too deep into your code, I would have a simple structure of my error handling.
Something like this:

Code:
Option Explicit[green]
'...[/green]
Sub change_file_names()[blue]
On Error GoTo MyErrHandlr[/blue]
[green]'root folder pathway[/green]
pathway = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Menu").folder_pathway_field.Value & "\"[green]
'...[/green]
Exit Sub
[blue]
MyErrHandlr:[/blue]
Select Case Err.Number
    Case 53   [green]'File not found
        'Handle this error and keep going[/green]
        Resume Next
    Case 52   [green]'Bad file name
        'Fix bad file name and[/green]
        Resume   [green]'try again[/green]
    Case Else[green]
        'Deal with all other errors here[/green]

End Select

End Sub

But, that's me... :)

---- Andy

"Hmm...they have the internet on computers now"--Homer Simpson

[tt]On Error GoTo -1[/tt] Frankly, don't do this. It has never ended well for me.

[tt]On Error GoTo Skip_record[/tt] - And do not try to put a new error handler into an error handler. Yes, some documentation will certainly suggest that On Error Goto -1 makes this a good idea. Frankly, I disagree. Things will not go the way you expect ...

On Error GoTo -1 doesn't handle the error.

It tries to convince VBA that the error didn't really happen. But it did, so who knows what's going to happen next.

Follow Andy's advice.

It turns out to be that my error clearing script just was in the wrong area in the loop. I moved it and it didn't have any issues afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back