Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple entries with checkboxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptrifile

Technical User
Aug 10, 2004
US
Hi, looking for a little help. I have a form with 6 checkboxes on it, one for each day of the week. I also have 2 textboxes for a StartTime and EndTime. If every check box is checked (Monday through Saturday) i would like an entry in the table for each one stating the following:

Dayofweek startime endtime
Monday 9:00 5:00
Tuesday 9:00 5:00
Wednesday 9:00 5:00
Thursday 9:00 5:00
Friday 9:00 5:00
Saturday 9:00 5:00

If say only Monday and Tuesday were checked i would only like the following stored in the Table:
Monday 9:00 5:00
Tuesday 9:00 5:00

I have played around with the insert into clause and have come close but have not gotten the desired results. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for any help!

Paul

If I would do it in Excel's Form, I would have Captions of my check boxes: Monday, Tuesday, ..., and this code:

Code:
Dim cntr As MSForms.Control

For Each cntr In Me.Controls
    If TypeOf cntr Is MSForms.CheckBox Then
        If cntr.Value = True Then
            Debug.Print "Insert into " & cntr.Caption
        End If
    End If
Next cntr

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

Thanks Andy, below is the code that i currently have and its half working, the days are populating as i wish as separate entries. I'm sure there is a MUCH better way to write the code but again i have it half working. What I am missing is how to get the entered data from the 2 text boxes (starttime and endtime) into the record for each day that is checked. Any Suggestions?

Code:
Private Sub Command20_Click()
If Me.chkMon = True Then
DoCmd.RunSQL "insert into tblshifts ([shiftday]) values ('Monday')"
If Me.chktue = True Then
DoCmd.RunSQL "insert into tblshifts ([shiftday]) values ('Tuesday')"
End If
End If
End Sub

Thanks!

Paul

I think I got this working. I used:

Code:
DoCmd.RunSQL "insert into tblshifts ([shiftday], [starttime]) values ('Monday','" & StartTime & "')"

Thanks for the help!

Paul

Hmmmmm????

No DATE, like a week of date, associated with these values in your table?

Skip, no I do not need a DATE associated with these as they are being used as shifts that are simply available for ANY given day.....

I ran into a problem with the code that I used when I added the ENDTIME to the insert into code. (Run-time error '3134': Syntax error in INSERT INTO statement.

Can you see anything wrong with the code below?

Code:
DoCmd.RunSQL "insert into tblshifts ([shiftday], [starttime], [endtime) values ('Monday','" & StartTime & "','" & EndTime & "')"

Thanks for the help!

Paul

Got it, never mind. I missed the ] after endtime.

I would try something like this:

Code:
Dim cntr As Control
Dim strSQL As String

For Each cntr In Me.Controls
    If TypeOf cntr Is CheckBox Then
        If cntr.Value = True Then
            strSQL = "insert into tblshifts (shiftday, starttime, endtime) values ('" & cntr.Caption
 & "','" & StartTime & "','" & EndTime & "')" 
            DoCmd.RunSQL strSQL
        End If
    End If
Next cntr

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

I would use the following which assumes all check boxes are named using the same pattern.

[highlight #FCE94F][/highlight]
Code:
Private Sub Command20_Click()
    Dim intDay as Integer
    Dim strSQL as String
[highlight #FCE94F][COLOR=#A40000]    'assumes starttime and end time are datetime fields, if not replace # with '
    'I would also store the weekday number rather than the day name but that's just my preference[/color][/highlight]
    For intDay = 2 To 6  'monday through friday
        If Me("chk" & Format(intDay,"ddd")) = True Then
            strSQL = "insert into tblshifts (shiftday, StartTime, EndTime) values ('" & _
                Format(intDay,"dddd") & "',#" & Me.StartTime & "#,#" & Me.EndTime & "#)"
            Currentdb.Execute strSQL, dbFailOnError
        End If
    Next
End Sub

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back