Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Domains / Multiple Mailboxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimRaines

IS-IT--Management
Jul 2, 2003
US
Ok....I've got a bit of a problem here and I hope someone's got an easier solution than I've come up with:

I have 20 different websites for which I receive the mail addressed to webmaster (webmaster@site1.com, webmaster@site2.com, etc.). I've got a couple of other users in a similar situation (sales@site1.com, sales@site2.com, etc.).

I do NOT want to set up 40+ accounts for what are really aliases. However, just adding additional SMTP addresses doesn't seem to do the trick, either: if someone sends a message to webmaster@site40.com, I want my response to appear to come from site40.com, not site1.com (my primary SMTP address).

The only thing I can come up with is to create 40+ accounts in AD and set them to forward to the appropriate account. Then give myself (and the guys that handle sales@, info@, etc.) Send On Behalf Of permission.

Is that the best way? Please tell me there's something easier.

Thanks in advance!

There's no easy way around that one I can think of, but here's one little peice of advice - dont' set up 40+ accounts, set up 40+ security groups, each with you as the sole member and the webmaster@site#.com as the DL's email address. Then, grant each security group "send as" priv on ITSELF.

Afterwards, any member of the group will receive emails sent to it, and also have the privs to send as the group itself. You'd have to be careful to specify the group in the "FROM" field on any emails you send. External recipients will get an email from the proper smtp address.

This is nice cause if you ever want to give management of the domain to someone else, just add them to the security group, remove yourself, and everything's done in one shot.

Could you let me know if you got this to work out for you? I came to this forum specifically looking for information on the exact same situation. I can get 2k advanced server & Exchange loaded and configured with no problems at all. However, I have never tried to manage mail for multiple domains.

I had a personal site up and running with exchange server that I used for testing things and hosting my own mail and some mail for friends PERSONAL.COM. Then I started using my server for business purposes. I reloaded everything with a new domain BUSINESS.COM. The problem was that my personal site grew so much that I didn't want to abandon those old mail accounts.

So now that puts me in the same situation. I have my server currently configured for BUSINESS.COM but I want to be able to host my mail for PERSONAL.COM as well but when I send mail from PERSONAL.COM I don't want it to show that it was sent from BUSINESS.COM

So I could receive mail from PERSONAL.COM while I tried to figure this out, I went to my domain registry and tried to use the email forwarding. I set that up to forward all PERSONAL.COM mail to me at BUSINESS.COM. Can't get that to work either. Any time anyone tries to send me mail to PERSONAL.COM it immediately gives them a "system administrator undeliverable" message that says "Can not relay mail for PERSONAL.COM"

I went to my user account in Active Directory and added the PERSONAL.COM email address to that account as an alias. That also did not work. As you can see, I'm a little stumped right now. Any information that you can help me out with would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

HI,

This requires you have to have different Is for each domains. In the enterpirse verision you can have multiple domain and users for that. You have to have different storage for that.

Alps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back