Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

multiple disk failure-raid 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

arvibm

Vendor
Feb 6, 2003
IN
Hi,
I have one query is there any procedure or method to recover the data if multiple disks get failed in FAStT device array.

Regards

arvind

Hi,

I got one solution if the disks are not failed but FAStT has marked two or more drives as failed drive (that might be due to any mismatch or network error) then we can recover the data by initializing the array.the initialization will recover the whole data if disks are not failed and marked as degraded or failed on storage manager.But That is very risky if the two or more disks are failed and if we try to reseed the failed drives FAStT will take the disks as new disks.running initialization has 90% chance of data recovery but i still want to know if two or more disks failed in real then what is the procedure to recover the data if the array is on RAID-5.

Unless IBM raids are so much different then other manufacturers.....
I could see a possible resurection if you can recreate the array ( exactly as originally created), save the configuration but not if you initialize the array. Once initialized, what ever data was on the array, is past history.
Have been using hardware raid since 1990, I have never had multiple disks truely fail. Best to have a hotspare on line just incase. Without a hotspare you can only loose one drive, the next drive failure is a dead array.
With a dead array an extemely expensive data recovery company has to take over. The only time I have seen multiple disks fail was due to an adapter firmware bug, luckily once flashed with an update, the array was fine.

Hi Technome,

Initialization will work only incase if the Disks are not failed in real but FAStT HAS DECLARED THEM AS FAILED OR DEGRADED DRIVE due to some network problem.then initilization will work.One more query, do u have any document to change the RAID-5 array on FAStT to RAID-10 on the fly.

Regards

arvind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back