Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple DHCP servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberspace

Technical User
Aug 19, 2005
GB
I have a customer who is using Novell Open Enterprise Server 2 for their DHCP/LDAP/DNS etc servers.

Configuring Option 184 is so far not going so well.

There is an IBM System I (VCX is running on this) available, so I was wondering about using this for the DHCP server for the voice VLAN.

Has anybody had experience of this? My understanding is that Option 184 is required on both the Voice and Data scope options. PC's will be daisy chained from the phones so I'm not too sure how it would work properly...if at all.

Thanks!

'When all else fails.......read the manual'

Yes, I set this up for a school distric not too long ago. THis was our first novell dhcp experience. With option 184 you need to be sure that the option is identical in the data scope as it is in the voice scope.

This is how I config'd the option last time. So looking at this below
0104= ip addr of primary vcx entered in hex format
0204= ip addr of secondary vcx in hex format
0304= vlan information (with 00 before and after the vlan ID)
0406= Gateway of last resort ip addr

0a
0d
0a
0d
Please input VLAN ID here
00 - We may need to change this to 01 if voice vlan is different than data.
0a
aa

Thanks for that - what data type did you select? I tried integer but it wouldnt take letters (but Novell forums said to use unsigned integer)

I also tried , eg, 01:04:etc as a String

Did you just add the parts seperately? eg, 01, then ok, then 04, then ok, etc, or did you add it in the format above using colons?

oh just to add, another concern was that if we use multiple DHCP servers, phones and PC's may get incorrect DHCP assignments, based on whichever server responds first (ports are members of voice and data VLAN's)

Is this a valid point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back