Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple DHCP scopes on the same physical segment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bworley

MIS
Mar 26, 2002
US
Our DHCP scope in our main office is quite messed up...many reserved and unused addresses...dynamic address where we want static addresses, etc. So we decided to try to clean this up by creating a second scope, migrating the workstations to the second scope, then recreating the first scope and migrating workstations back. We have 1 DHCP server assigning private addresses in the range 10.21.81.50-10.21.81.250 (mask 255.255.255.0). I created a new scope on our DHCP server to assign addresses in the range 10.21.82.50-10.21.82.250 (mask 255.255.255.0). At first I could not get a workstation to obtain an address from this new scope, even if I de-activated the old scope. So, knowing that these networks couldn't see each other, I configured the Ethernet1 interface on our route to be 10.21.82.1 with an ip helper address being our DHCP server (10.21.81.5). (The router has an ethernet0 with the address 10.21.81.1). Still nothing. So, I created a superscope and added both scopes to it, and all of a sudden I could obtain an ip address from the 10.21.82.x scope. So, I deactivate the 10.21.81.x scope again...still everything was fine...I could release and renew addressed from various workstations. Now, all of a sudden, some leases are expiring on the original scope and the workstations are not automatically getting a new IP address from the new scope. Any ideas why?? I believe many of these workstations could be WIN98 first edition, so do you think there might be an issue with the version of WINSOCK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back