Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Default Gateways

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeLacey

MIS
Nov 9, 1998
GB
Hello All,

HP-UX 11iv1 - It's possible to specify, using SAM or in /etc/rc.config.d.netconf, multiple default gateways/routes.

Why would you do this? How would the additional default gateways you specify get used?

I've been looking through the HP site(s) for official information but without success so far - so I'd apprecate any info people have.

Mike

"Deliver me from the bane of civilised life; teddy bear envy."

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at faq219-2884

Hi,
form man pages for routing(7):
[...]
There may still be multiple routing entries remaining. In that case the IP packet is routed over the first displayed by netstat -r. Such multiple routes include:
- Two or more routes to a host via different gateways.
- Two or more routes to a network via different gateways.
- Two default routes.
[...]
However there is still Flag field indicating current route state. So (as I understand, but still have to test it ;-) ), when first default route is not up (U flag not present) the second one is used.
Hope it helps,
Milosz

Not easy to tease out the details of what will actually happen if you specify more than one DG...

I'm leaving it at one DG for the moment anyway -- thanks for your reply Milosz

Mike

"Deliver me from the bane of civilised life; teddy bear envy."

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back