Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hattusas

Programmer
Nov 11, 2001
TR
We have decided to create a new database once a year in order to prevent the decrease the performance.We name our database like OGERTUR2000,OGERTUR2001,OGERTUR2002 etc.Our clients select their year.For example when they select 2001, the project connects this user to the OGERTUR2001.How can I make my reports connect to these databases dynamically according the clients wish?When clientA is logged in 2000,reportA must fetch the data from OGERTUR2000,but when clientB is logged in 2001 the SAME REPORTA must fetch it from OGERTUR2001.

You can only do this if you are launching the report from within an application. Are you? What integration method are you using? Ken Hamady, On-site/Phone Crystal Reports Training/Consulting
Quick Reference Guide to using Crystal in VB

Thanks for your time.Our project is based on java and servlet.But to activate the reports,we use applets that handle the clients' parameters.When the submit button of the applet is clicked,since I know all of the parameters the user wants I use this way "getAppletContext().showDocument(" (A java method that is used for opening a new URL).But I don't know If there is a way to solve my question without creating the report and renaming it.Because we have than 50 reports and for 3 years it makes 150 reports! :).

From within applicatons (like VB) you can use commands like "SetLogonInfo" or "LogonServer" to connect a report to a specific database. Soem web integration methods have similar commands available, but I do not know the exact syntax. Ken Hamady, On-site/Phone Crystal Reports Training/Consulting
Quick Reference Guide to using Crystal in VB

Hi again.I still couldn't solve this problem and year 2002 is approaching so as the OGERTUR2002 database :)).If anyone gives a solution I'd be extremely pleased.Thanks a lot.

Hi Hattusas
I downloaded update8x utility from the Crystal website to help with a similar problem. This utility will allow you to select all reports in a directory and set the database and server name for them. Saves having to copy each report and do a Set Location manually.
I just made a copy of all my original reports an dthen changed the server and database name of the new ones. It takes no time at all. If your database name is different between servers you need to do one more Set Location each though. You go into Set Location and delete the Server and database name before the Proc name and save this. You can then use this version to switch betwene servres and databases.

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back