Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Databases in Windows NT

Status
Not open for further replies.

onirike

Programmer
Aug 3, 2000
CA
Hi!

I have a Windows NT 4.0 SP6 server running Oracle 8i. We currently have 4 databases running... All these databases together takes up to 1.5 gig of allocated memory... First of all, it this normal? Each database seems to take between 300 and 500 megs of virtual memory.

Instead of having 4 databases, should I concentrate on keeping only 2 (one for DEV and another one for PROD) with different schemas?

What's the best solution?

Thanks for your help,
Onirike ;-)

4 db on one NT box requires a lot of NT services and overhead that can impact performance. If you have the option reduce the number of databases - consolidate some of the schemas from two or three databases to one databases - unless the same schema names are repeated on multiple db's - in that case you may have to change schema names. Your business requirements may preclude this however.

You said the db names were DEV and PROD - if this means you have developers working on a database on the same box as a production db - this is a potential problem - both from security and resource impact. My experience is that developers may crash the db and possibly require bouncing the NT box to restart oracle, thus impacting the prod db.

If you have to keep developers and prod on the same box, have a REAL good backup strategy for each db, keep careful tabs on system level passwords, physical access to the box, user quotas and roles and privileges. Whatever can happen will happen.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back